Upgrade questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wipster

UK
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice from the people with experience regarding speaker choice for my car, my stock ones blew //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif literally and physically. I know this is a very expansive question so let me give some details to narrow it down a bit.

The range I am looking in is the 4ohm 6.5" speakers, reason for this impedance is I don't have an amplifier so I need to be able to drive from the head unit (KDC-W8534) being LOUD isn't too important too me I'd much rather have good sound quality at my normal listening levels.... or is an AMP just considered a MUST?

The head unit outputs 30W RMS, so I think I need a bit of headroom in-case down the line I do decide to get an amp so I am also looking in the 60W range...

The music I listen too is a bit of a range from metal to dubstep so it can be quite bassy, to that end I am changing my fronts from 5.1/4" to 6.5" (space permitting) so they need to be ok with lower frequencies, probably not going as far as a subwoofer... I like my boot space.

I am also not an 'audiophile' so there is a cap to my budget which is probably around £50-60 per speaker pair.

Sofar I have been looking at the Alpine SPG-17C2 but not knowing much on the subject and being a bit of a stickler for stats I cant make my mind up.

What would you recommend I look into?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Wip

If you truly have 30W rms, then just about any comp set that has a sensitivity rating of 90 or better would sound pretty good. I have Focal 165 A1 comps running off my OEM HU which may put out 15w rms (BIG may), so lets say 10W. These focals have a rating of 91, and they get plenty loud for me, have the detail I want, good seperation and depth to the music. I have deadened the front doors fairly well, have good mid bass response as well. Here in the US, my speakers list for ~$280+ USD. You can find them used for less on most forums. Some will say the tweeters are harsh, and they can be, but I have no real complaints about them at all. You should be able to tune them a little with treble/mid adjustments on the HU, but I'm not familiar with your HU. But try and listen to as many different brands as you can as speaker selection is truly a personal preference.

Mb quart and hertz audio are the first two I can think of that I have listen to personally that stand out as great sounding speakers but both where component sets I can't see the co-ax version's sounding much different other then tweeter placement

Well the specs of the unit say the internal amp can do 4x50W Peak, 4x30W RMS I guess I need to take that with a pinch of salt but in that area. Thanks for the tip about the sensitivity, there I was thinking awww a few dB off wont matter... after reading more about it its become clear that it defiantly would. The difference between the Alpine and the Hertz is 4.5 dB, I guess thats why the peak power of the Alpines are so high because they need over double the amount of power to get as loud.

Read a review of the Hertz, search for DCX165, and it says they are 3.2Ohm not really 4 not sure if this will overheat the headunit kenwood seemed to think it might cause damage bellow 4.

Great advice sofar, thanks keep it coming //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Edit: Having a gander at DLS 126's anyone have any oppinions on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.