using laptop as a jutbox

Participant count
  • Participant list

kev7017

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif Can somebody Help me figure this one out?

I'm thinking about installing a laptop in my cars trunk,

so that i can play my Mp3 files through my car stereo system, But I don't know where to start.

not to be an azz or anything but wouldn't it be easier to get a new h/u that plays mp3? maybe even an easier install? just a thought.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by mrray13 not to be an azz or anything but wouldn't it be easier to get a new h/u that plays mp3? maybe even an easier install? just a thought.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
What is a H/U?

Originally posted by jaylee H/U = Head Unit
dose this head unit play files or CDs with mp3s burned on it.

Because with a Laptop you can shake it, bump it, and even drop it and the music still keeps playing. Can this be said about the Head Unit?

The laptop is a totally feasible idea. You will need a power inverter to run it, and also a source unit (HU) with an external input on it. There are more and more competitors doing this now, simple reason- you can hold roughly 1000 songs in something about the size of a notebook as opposed to several hundreds of CD'd free-floating throughout the car.-- stealth!!

take it easy,

-zane

I agree with Zane. Not only can the CPU be used for MP3's but you can get into tuning and SPL/DB measuring aspects of the sytem with a CPU integrated into the system. The MP3 decks just allows for use of MP3 formatted CD's to be played. It works just as any other HU does. A quality deck will not skip on you. (USUALLY) Either way is a good way to go on the account that it makes music, and CD storage more manageable. Some Head units have connections designed for direct connects with Laptops. Or they have optional adapters. Lata

i would definatley make sure that it is secured pretty well with some kind of padding. Cause with a pc if you are bouncing it around you are asking for trouble, especially with it running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.