• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

I'm thinking about upgrading my car stereo eventually from the factory one ('96 Explorer with premium JBL sound). However, the noise level in my Explorer is VERY loud. I really don't think it would be worth upgrading from my already decent system if I can't hear the difference:

1. Engine noise: The V8 is quite loud, but I don't mind it so much now, especially since the other things are so loud.

2. Vibration: The entire car vibrates a lot over 30 mph or so, so 2/3 of the time, I have something making a racket somewhere in the car.

3. Road Noise: Quite load, but is there anything I can do?

4. Wind Noise: This would probably be the most annoying to me and probably the single loudest thing in the car. It primarily comes from both front side windows.

If anybody has any suggestions about improving any of these areas, I would be very grateful,

-Biscuits

Try to put some dynomat around your firewall..that may help some of the engine noise. For the wind, try to find where it is comming from, and get some silicone or weatherstripping to stop it. Also, check your tires and alignment, shocks and struts for the vibrations. Thats my best guesses.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I think my wheels are out of alignment, which may be contributing to the vibration. I'm also going to look at the weatherstripping around the windows and perhaps take it to an autoglass place here in town if I can't figure out how to fix the wind noise myself.

The dynomat around the firewall sounds like a good idea. I'm going to look into it. Do you think this is something I could attempt myself?

Also, how would I go about checking the shocks and struts for vibrations?

Many thanks again!

-Biscuits

I don't really know if u could dynomat it yourself, but if you got the spray and did it around where your wires enter the firewall it might work.

As for the s/s, I say take it to a RESPECTABLE mechanic and have him give em a look for ya.

As I said, those are my guesses as to what may work.

Thanks again.

Now to find a respectable mechanic.... I don't know if there even is one in Athens. The local Ford dealer, University Motors is about as slimy and unethical as they come..... I may have to go out of town //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

-Biscuits

here is a quick and time tested method for checking your shocks/struts.

stand on the bumper( if you are a smaller person otherwise just shove down on the hood or trunk) and jump off hard. if the car bounces more than three times, it's time for new!

ps; the bounces should be really noticeable, like three or four inches.

Ahhh, thanks again. Shocks and struts appear to be fine going by that test. I'm going to get the wheels aligned and the windows looked at. I'll have to see if its possible to do something about the engine noise.

You've all been really helpful. Thanks a lot,

-Biscuits

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.