What car would you buy with a $13,000 budget?

Not sure where you get this information... the 8 speed in the Chrysler products is extremely well reviewed. The older trans (5/6 spd) struggle to figure out where to be, especially in the trucks. Coming from an owner of 2 8 spds I can say it is super smooth and you have to really pay attention to notice it shifting. This is coming from a Ram 1500 Hemi and a Charger R/T Road & Track. You are over thinking the transmission - it is extremely smart and responsive. It also helps the car get 30+ MPG and run about 1 second quicker 0-60. Only a fool would get the lesser transmission when you have the option for both. Again I have not seen any complaints from the Charger or Ram forums... in fact everyone LOVES it and recommend upgrading solely just for the transmission. I encourage you to go test drive one if you have spare time to burn.
oh, i by no means suggest getting an older one because of the 8 speed, and ive not yet driven one yet but have ridden in one (weirdly enough, as i like to test drive most cars just for self infotainment). Im just going off of the reviews ive seen and the few people ive known that had one. I try to mix in equal parts of horror stories and songs of praise when reading about cars. If im not mistaken, the trans you speak of is the ZF 8 speed, and if it is that trans, it had its stumbles starting out mainly related to the ECU programmed by the mfg'r. The second gen from 2014 is far better tho

I didn't know they had two different versions. My truck is a late model '13 so it is the same as the 14 and my Charger is a 16.

Either way I still think the Charger fits his bill well. Maybe I am biased lol.

I didn't know they had two different versions. My truck is a late model '13 so it is the same as the 14 and my Charger is a 16.
Either way I still think the Charger fits his bill well. Maybe I am biased lol.
well, im sure its a good choice with it being that new, i just wasnt sure what the price is/was on the range of the newer ones.

Shifting in these types of transmissions is all controlled by computers, and if throttle position vs speed is calculated by the ECU to come up with 5th gear and you really wanted 4th it can make for a wonky transition to the actual desired gear since some time was spent in the wrong gear with more throttle adjustment to convince the trans to drop another cog. The new ecus have been able to rectify this along with engines outputting far more torque than when the 8 speed came out making being so choosy about what gear you wanted vs what the car offered up a much smaller issue

id like to think i have a skyline //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif lol. its a skyline in japan.. lol
well, for whatever reason, Nissan decided to change the nomenclature of what was once known as the Skyline and applied it to the g series sedans and coupes and changed the model of its fastest car from Skyline to a option level of the same car, known as the GTR. Counterintuitive to make a far more sedate car bear the name of the car that was kicking the snot out of cars double its price. But, technically youre right. If you drive a g series, you drive a new school JDM Skyline

yep, if you buy a Skyline in japan, thats what youll get nowadays. Its just so odd to me that theyd spend such a long time building up the reputation of that name and then apply it to something with such a lesser capability. ot that im talkin smack about the g series cars, because i love them, but they just arent Skylines. It would be like changing the name of the Sentra to the Sylvia

yep, if you buy a Skyline in japan, thats what youll get nowadays. Its just so odd to me that theyd spend such a long time building up the reputation of that name and then apply it to something with such a lesser capability. ot that im talkin smack about the g series cars, because i love them, but they just arent Skylines. It would be like changing the name of the Sentra to the Sylvia
Its not exactly slow. they do high 12s with straight engine.

yeah, but the car that replaced the R34 Skyline (hate referring to it as a GTR) d@mn near gets into the 10's
thing is a twin turbo 370z eats there lunch in most situations. 325s in hte rear and a revamped suspension its a VERY capable track car for 60k. I'm talking big dog status.

the G37 isn't really designed to be a true track car the trans and suspension etc.. it does decent on hte track with some mods(can keep up with all the M3s etc etc) and it a great daily.

not to mention for 13 grand you can get a 09 and drop a intake and fulls exhaust system and tuned for 3k and have a car eats stangs and camaros while have some serious class and style. hehe

Turbo Optima
The Optima looks nice, but its a piece of junk. There's always something wrong with them, and they loosen up and get old fast. I'm a factory authorized tech for a several brands. Here's some general comments based on what I've seen working on them.

Hyundai/Kia - As you go up the line, the worse the car gets. They're just trying to do way too much all at once. Each time a new version of a car comes out, there's usually massive upgrades that are not fully tested. The Elantra/Forte is actually a much better car than the Optima/Sonata.

Mazda - The new 6 is probably the best car Mazda ever made. There were a few small recalls when it first came out, but overall, the car is built like a tank. Its not a race car, but the trade off is 185 horsepower motor that gets 38 mpg on the highway. There's hybrids that don't get that kind of mileage.

Infiniti - Practically indestructible. For some reason, the G37/Q40 sell for very reasonable prices on the used market. If you want a fast mid size sedan, this is the one to get. Needless to say, you won't get the best gas milage. Also, and this is important, Infiniti doesn't use CVT transmissions like Nissan does. I wouldn't buy a CVT regardless of brand. They drive like crap and they don't hold up.

Ford - Walk. You don't need a car that bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.