what size sub for rock?

negolien

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey all,

I currently run 2 12's in a ported box. I drive a 2001 olds alero. The box dimensions are 14"H x 29-1/2"W x 13-1/2"D and that's about as big as I can go. I' am interested in getting something a little better. I don't listen to rap or hip hop per se. Although I do listen to some Matisyahu I mostly listen to rock. Would I be better off getting 2 10's instead?

Are you unhappy with the setup you have? If so, what would you like to improve? I don't know what 12's you're running, but in a ported box that big, they probably aren't punchy enough for rock. Any more details?

Thanks the set up I' am running is MTX JackHammer Enclosures - JH45 Series | MTX Audio. After 5 years or so I' am just looking for something a little crisper and just a little louder. I' am in the process of redoing my entire system. I have everything but the subs now the system is as follows most are installed some aren't. It's the subs I' am looking to choose now and an enclosure.

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Infinity Kappa 693.11i

Infinity Kappa 60.11cs

Polk DB461

Stock Monsoon tweeters

the Dual JH45 box

KAC-8105D

Kenwood Excelon XR400-4

MTX TN200/2

I want to future proof the system for a while so I' am going to go with new subs and a new box. I was thinking sealed though actually. Think that would be better? I' am a novice so keep that in mind.

My personal opinion..With what you have,the only way you are going to get ANY LOUDER than what you have going on is going to be the enclosure for those subs.They are rated @250 rms ea, and that amp is rated (Kenwood D)@500 rms @2 ohms not a lot of power/but you can get the most out of both,by trying a different BUILT/TUNED enclosure,not store bought/shelf stocked.Id try to build one yourself,get some specs from one of the box builders on here like @Buck,and get those subs tuned somewhere around 34-38htz,and run those subs for a bit,until you can get some better quality subs for the enclosure built.Like somewhere around a 2.4-2.6 cuft@34-38htz with a pair of Sundown SA10s,or 12s,or some SSA Gcons,be great for that car.Even some American Bass TNT,or XFLs,.By that time,you should be looking into getting deeper into the car audio theme as we all have become quite addicted to.Electrical upgrades,tuned enclosures,deadening, multi batteries,larger wiring,as well as quality gear,and most of all..your dedicated time.Just my 2cents

Thanks I have already deadened the trunk with 38 Sq feet of stinger. I' am running a 200 amp ho alt and 0 gauge big three. 4 gauge amp wiring all around. Just left with the sub choice which will determine the amp. Just debating going down on the size of the sub. Don't get me wrong I like loud but the Jackhammers are almost loud enough for me with the AVH-X5500BHS at about 23 on the volume. I don't have the gain on the amp set very high maybe 25%. Just wondering if 10's would give me a tighter thump. Not very informed on the difference between the size of speakers.

Thanks I have already deadened the trunk with 38 Sq feet of stinger. I' am running a 200 amp ho alt and 0 gauge big three. Just left with the sub choice which will determine the amp. Just debating going down on the size of the sub. Don't get me wrong I like loud but the Jackhammers are almost loud enough for me with the AVH-X5500BHS at about 23 on the volume. I don't have the gain on the amp set very high maybe 25%. Just wondering if 10's would give me a tighter thump. Not very informed on the difference between the size of speakers.
size does not mean tighter thump at all. Just went from a single 12 in a huge oversized ported box to 2 15s in a minimum recommendation sized ported box and My bass is a lot tighter and punchier. Box means everything on how the subs sound man. In a oversized box, 10s would dig real deep but sound bloated and muddy too. If 10s and 12s were both in ideal enclosures for rock then 12s would sound just as good if not better then 10s and definitely louder. The thought of 10s playing punchier and cleaner then a 12, 15 or 18 is a myth thats being spread around by noobs, dont be one of those....

The diameter of the piston determines the size of the sub, lol. But I don't think that's what you meant to ask.

Enclosure size and tuning have an enormous amount to do with how a sub will perform. Generally speaking, larger enclosures will yield lower response and smaller ones will reduce low end output. Tuning controls if and where the sub will peak but it is also very size and subwoofer dependant. Some 12" subs will do very well in a small box while others will perform completely different in the same box. Moreover, where the box is mounted and in what vehicle also plays a role. This is why it's important to design an enclosure around the sub, the environment and the musical goals of the listener.

For good response on rock music, I would go with a low compliance (high powered) sub in a mid sized box tuned to ~35Hz in most cases. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to imprison your subs in a sealed box in order to get fast, accurate bass. You just have to do some due diligence and build a proper vented enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.