What subs are best at what?

Yup I think Tantrics are really musical up until the HD anything over that is mostly SPL. I won't go into his quality issues but trust me lol they we pretty bad. Thank god Jim was a buffer. I still haven't gotten my fkin t-shirt Murph promised me like 4 months ago o_O lol. I was actually thinking of getting two HD to slap in the same box and just run 3-4 k next year. The products themselves when made properly are very nice imo.
I know what you mean about some of the quality. But as far as musical subs my hdd plays music way better then burps. Could be my tuning but the play a pretty decent range of notes.

[quote name='Bazzheadnorway']What do you guys mean by "Rise" is it another word for playing a sub in? or..? :p[/QUOTE]

"Rise" or "impedance rise" is a phenomenon that occurs with subs. When AC current passes through the coils, it creates an electromagnetic field. This interacts with the motor's permanent magnetic field and causes the soft parts to move. When the current is applied, impedance if the coils actually increase. This is due to heat, back EMF, and something else I forget. Enclosure also pays a role in impedance rise. As impedance rises, the subs see less power because the amp does not put out as much power.

Impedance is simply the term used for resistance in an AC electrical circuit.

The higher the motor force, the higher rise will be. Neo motors have much higher rise than ferrite structures because they are stronger.
@FML; on here had some crazy impedance rise, and wasn't seeing hardly any power out of his amp.

[quote name='adulbrich']"Rise" or "impedance rise" is a phenomenon that occurs with subs. When AC current passes through the coils, it creates an electromagnetic field. This interacts with the motor's permanent magnetic field and causes the soft parts to move. When the current is applied, impedance if the coils actually increase. This is due to heat, back EMF, and something else I forget. Enclosure also pays a role in impedance rise. As impedance rises, the subs see less power because the amp does not put out as much power.

Impedance is simply the term used for resistance in an AC electrical circuit.

The higher the motor force, the higher rise will be. Neo motors have much higher rise than ferrite structures because they are stronger.
@FML; on here had some crazy impedance rise, and wasn't seeing hardly any power out of his amp.[/QUOTE]

Yep, unavoidable with woofers. There was a huge argument on Facebook the other day, a guy claiming he had 0, absolutely no rise in his enclosure. Lol.

Im going on my 3rd run at a box for my DDs. And ended up buying another amp and tripling power just to get some output until i got a box dialed in.
As iv come to find out, many factors play a part when it comes to tuning, output, rise, etc.

For me, i bought brand new woofers. Been told until they are fully broken in (especially stiff suspension types like mine) , it can cause more then normal rise. Thst, and that they're dual 4's puts me in a spot where ill rise more. Even though im wired down, each voice coil is 4 ohms resistant, and i feel the more you have to wire down in impedance , the more it will want to jump back up to where it started. <<< that last bit is strictly theory. But then again. Theres no definitive science to it yet.

The other part of my battle is my vehicle, i drive an extended cab truck. Notoriously difficult to narrow down resonance and frequency peaks. But i didn't buy the vehicle with a big build in mind for once, its just turned into it once again haha.

Most subs, including the ones you've mentioned are likely capable of your taste preference.

It's all going to be your vehicle and the box. Those two are going to mean everything. An $80 sub is capable of sounding amazing with a little TLC

My ideal of good bass is my bass hitting strong my range of music rather than listening to super low songs.
I agree with this. I can't talk much because i let a shop do setup this time (mainly because I work so much). I don't know if it's the woofers or the tuning, but they play typical music strong. Playing dipped in gold will give you a headache, but playing bass mechanics makes they subs sound like they'd fizzled out. I get the violent shaking with really low bass, but not with authority that ***** your breathe out. I hate when I play No Type and the low bit is weak, but the rest bangs

I agree with this. I can't talk much because i let a shop do setup this time (mainly because I work so much). I don't know if it's the woofers or the tuning, but they play typical music strong. Playing dipped in gold will give you a headache, but playing bass mechanics makes they subs sound like they'd fizzled out. I get the violent shaking with really low bass, but not with authority that ***** your breathe out. I hate when I play No Type and the low bit is weak, but the rest bangs
low bass is not the bass that takes your breathe out man. More like an ear fking/ just jumped off a plane to skydive wind tunnel sensation along with uncontrollable vehicle flex and airflow. The 40-55 hz range is a lot easier to get the breath loss feeling/chest punch.

You should plug in your songs onto the spectrum analyzer on audacity and see what frequencies you are actually hurting on and find out if your box is tuned to low or too high.

Dipped in gold is mainly 37hz at -2.0db with a few 60-73hz bits.

No type is a -5.3 db level on the 36hz section vs 59hz at 0.3 db

Overall, I'd say you just need more output. Judging from your setup, I'm betting that you are severely under powering your sub woofers. You will actually get better range overall with more power. Get a 4-5k amp along with a high output alt when you can and you should be a happy camper.

Fi Sp4s, DC Level 6 and of course Sundown zv4 are great for low lows. I hope my TSNS will get down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. Aslong as i can play into the mid 20s ill be happy...if i can hit 20hz tho it would be awesome. Gonna put it in a box that i got with the sub , tuned to 32hz. But ill probably be going with a 4th order bandpass later on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.