What THe Hell is WRONG???

jaredmonk
10+ year member

helena
Hello,

OK here is my story. I bought a Rockford Fosgate bd1000.1 amp. I have it going to a Kicker Solo L715". So i am riding around everything working great for like 3 weeks. THen one day i am listening to music, not very loud, and my sub just goes out. So i take the cd out and put it back in and i can listen to it very low but if i turn it up the sub goes out. So i take it into the pro who installs it and he says the amp is blown. So i get another one (not the same one) and i have it put in and the same thing happens. So what the hell is going wrong here. There is no way to blow an amp that quick is there? This is very dissapointing. Can anyone tell me what you might think is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

oh if it helps. the 15" is in a ported box that is about 3 cubic feet. We built it to the specs that it came with.

and the amp is running at 1 ohm.

and the protection light on the amp keeps coming on. but what the hell

thanks,

jared //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Personally, I don't know much about huge amps like the one you are talking about, and I would think that it could take the 1 ohm, but if the protection light is coming on, then the ohm load is to low for its normal operational load. I know that 1 ohm is definitly hard work for even the best of amps. I see that you have a 1 ohm load, so you must have the DVC 2 ohm sub. I know this might be heartbreaking to hear, but wiring them in series to get a 4 ohm load would be the best bet for long periods of play, but remember that you are sacrificing some power, but with that 15L7, you might not even tell the difference. Hope I could help!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I definitely agree, running the amp at a 1-ohm load is not the way to go. If your protection light is coming on then that probably is from the amp "overheating". Which would probably explain why they told you the amp was blown. A possible fix is to get a cooling fan. Also, with running amps at such a low impedance, you also take a bigger risk at frying your voice coils, even though you may not be pushing peak power to your sub. But check your ground, make sure all your wires are secure! I would reccomend getting a bigger amp, if your amp can't pump out the power you need with a 2-ohm load.

RF bd series are all 2 ohms, that's what the problem was. What was your replacement amp? Did they hook you up with a regular a/b amp and try to run it @ 1 ohm? Not good.

There are a lot of amps that can sustain 1 ohm loads without a problem, and you can get them a lot cheaper than what you would have paid for the bd1000.1 at a retail store. Check out the DEI 1100 or the Lanzar Opti1000.1D from http://www.sounddomain.com. Both are more than capable of driving one ohm loads and are more affordable than the rf you bought.

you must have a short some where or mabye you need a power cap it could be that your subs are takeing to much power and then the channels just blow out

Hey guys,

thanks for the help here.

well i took it in and he tested everything thourghly...i guess i fried my voice coil... he said it was because my box was too small...so i am sending it back on warranty...its highly dissapointing...because it sounded so sweet when it worked...but the good news is both my amps are good...so i am going to run 2 solo 15"s...and i will be sure to get the 4 dvc model this time...but thank you all for the help...

peace,

jared:rolleyes:

overheating..... ain't that a B, if it however is... I woudl guess it to be a loos connection.... give me a jingle.. I was into all that crazy overclocking/cooling for comouters and it comins in Reeellll handy for hot amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if your subs are wired up at 1 ohm... this could cause impedence to your cd player and could cause your cd player to cut off the pre-out channel, or it could cause the cd player to trip the remote wire, this would explain why it would work again after you turn off the deck and turn it back on.

so are you saying it is not reccomended to wire subs at 1 ohm.

see what happened is i messed up and order the sub at dvc 2 ohm so i could only run it at 1 ohm or 4 ohm...if i run it at 4 ohm it would be dramatically underpowering the sub...my bd 1000.1....

also what would happen is the sub would go out if i turned it up...so i would take the cd out and put it back in and then the sub would work on low volume...but then if i turned it up it would go out...it use to work just fine...why all of a sudden would the impendence kick in and effect the sub???

well the pro who installed it told me it was the sub.. so i am sending it back and making a bigger box...hopefully this will solve the problem or i will be pissed...if it does i will post some pics...2 solos in the back of my suburban...it should sound pretty good...

thanks

jared

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.