What was your worst car audio mistake ...

I was installing a system in my buddys car on a Friday and it was getting late, so I told him we had to complete it tomorrow. He wanted bump that night so I ran the power wire through the door and told him to be careful not to pinch the wire. Needless to say I got a call 4 hours later with him *****ing about his car being on fire. That was the last time I rig anything.

Drew

Several times I've used a wrench to take off batt terminals and ended up touching the other terminal or the chassis...sparks everywhere, lol

Wired up my first set of subs, but had no idea what voice coils were, and I only wired up one coil on each, lol. I fixed it a few days later...

Was using a drill to take out screws holding in a friends sub and poked a hole in the surround

When I first put my door speakers in, I put the crossovers on the inside of the door, but the wire going from the xover to the speaker was too short and the window would come down and pull on it, lol. Wasn't a huge mistake, but I had to pull the doors apart again, and lengthen the wire.

I know there's probably more...

when i was young i thought it was a good idea to buy a power akoustikrap amp temporary for my highs. wrong. annoyed the piss out of me with the loud ass engine whine. after about 5 minuites i took it out and just used the hu instead until my audio art amp came in. lesson learned, if its cheap it really is just that. ended up just giving it away to someone for subs. the whine wasnt as strong on the subs but could of been that they were in the trunk also lol. wouldnt of felt right to take money for that garbage.

Oh yeah...I was doing something with my door speakers one day, and I wanted to listen to the radio while working...well I was listening to the radio in my car. When I got to the speaker (while it was playing) I disconnected the leads and let them fall into the door, lol. It was kinda scary seeing the bright flashes coming from inside my door...

I worst car audio mistake was buying and selling so many amps thinking one was actually better than the other. That one was going to sound different. Boy was I wrong. I could have saved myself several thousand dollars but i have seen the light. Other less serious mistakes are connecting the power to the ground terminal and vice versa on my old JL Audio 300/4 amp. The other mistake was selling my 1st RF T1500-1BD last year. Great amp. I have since replaced it.

Several times I've used a wrench to take off batt terminals and ended up touching the other terminal or the chassis...sparks everywhere, lol
Wired up my first set of subs, but had no idea what voice coils were, and I only wired up one coil on each, lol. I fixed it a few days later...

Was using a drill to take out screws holding in a friends sub and poked a hole in the surround

When I first put my door speakers in, I put the crossovers on the inside of the door, but the wire going from the xover to the speaker was too short and the window would come down and pull on it, lol. Wasn't a huge mistake, but I had to pull the doors apart again, and lengthen the wire.

I know there's probably more...

I had been wondering, what happens when you do that? Any serious damage? Heat? Bad sound?

Was mounting some 5 1/4's in a door when the drill slipped and went straight threw the speaker.
x2

i know this isnt CA but heres my two cents

and also im a painter so ive had plunty of stories but my fav. one is when i was just starting out painting, i just finished clearing a fender and i didnt like the way the color did cover it all so i took a scotch brit pad to it (not very good) just a really quick job so i went back with color and all the clear blisterd on me like paint striper and cost me alot of time and money

Friend calls, Asks me how to wire up 3 Audiobahn subs, to run on his kicker 600.1.

I tell him the correct way, to achieve a 2.66ohm load, for his 2 ohm stable amp.

I get a call about five minutes later, Saying his amp keeps going into protect.

I go over there, He insists he needs my cap, So i trade him a set of 2ch RF RCA's for it, We install it, And turn the system back on. Same thing, But he kept insisting to play it. Finally it was stuck in protection.

So he went across the street, Bought two Jensen 425 Monoblocks, And we wired them up. One amp kept going into protection. WTF?

Finally, i talk him into letting me pull the subs, And check his wiring.

The middle sub, Had a screw stuck across the tensil leads!

My mistake, I should have been there to wire them up, But instead i let him keep going and it costed him 2 amp's.

On the positive side, I got me a CHEAP kicker 600.1 that just needs a new resistor. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Buying a sony xplod HU from wally world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

But I learned my lesson, went from the xplod to a Pioneer 880 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.