What's wrong with my subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
I have 2 12" Alpine Type-R's being powered by a Rockford Fosgate T10001BD. Well anyways just yesterday while driving my car with the bass up all the way, the bass suddenly started sounding alot different and quieter. I turned the volume down and then it started sounded normal again. I turned it back up, and it sounded fine for a few seconds till it started sounding wierd again. I parked to go to my trunk to listen to the subs. They sound fine until i turn it all the way up, then it starts sounding like a rattling, horrible sound. Both subs do it. I don't think they're blown because they still work and sound fine at low volume. What is wrong? Maybe i should make a vid and film them so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I set the gain with a DMM while playing a -2 db 50 hz test tone. I have the bass boost at 0.

Cliffnotes: My subs sound fine but then start sounding horrible when i turn it up. When i turn it back down they start to sound fine again. What's wrong?

Sounds like maybe your amps doing some kind of protect thing maybe a thermal kinda deal?? If the subs were friend and still playing youd hear it at almost all volume levels. Im sure someone has the answer for you. have you tried another set of subs or amp??

Sounds like maybe your amps doing some kind of protect thing maybe a thermal kinda deal?? If the subs were friend and still playing youd hear it at almost all volume levels. Im sure someone has the answer for you. have you tried another set of subs or amp??
yeah that's what i'm thinking too.

probably low voltage clipping.
I'll have to check to see if this is the case. But i just don't think so because last i knew my voltage stayed above 13. But maybe that changed.

Could be your spiders. . .
Like how? What causes them to go bad?

ok i think i found the problem. Hopefully this is it. I just found out that the 1/0 positive wire going from the batt up front to the batt in the trunk came unplugged from the fuse holder. I measured the voltage of the battery in the trunk and with the wire unplugged the battery was at around only 9 volts. So I think skylineTT might be right. If i just plug the wire back into the fuse holder i should be able to see if that was the problem, but i don't have the right tool to do that right now. Do you guys think that was the problem? I really hope so.

Yeah I just don't think it's tinsel slap though. Wouldn't the subs sound bad all the time then? Actually ever since this problem started yesterday, it's been getting worse (like i can't turn up the volume as high or it starts sounding bad) but i think that's just because the voltage has been dropping ever since.

Well you know what, if those tinsels are starting to fall apart or are pretty much broken it could be?? I would imagine you wouldnt hear the slap unless u did turn it up seeing as theyd be moving more...but regardless u need to tighten up all your wires 2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well great news. The subs are bumping again. It was just that unplugged wire. God, that one wire, which took a minute to fix, made me think that i possibly blew my subs. I am SO relieved.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.