Which Would You Prefer: 5-Channel or 4+1?

SrsBzns

Aspiring Block-Shaker
Hey guys,

So I've officially started working on my first system. I'm trying to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good value out of my system. My build so far looks like this:

VEHICLE: 2003 Honda Civic LX 4-Door

HEAD UNIT: A Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395

DOORS: A pair of JBL GTO608C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Components

REAR: A pair of JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers

SUBS: A pair of Kicker 10C124 Comp 12-Inch Subs in a ported enclosure

My question is, should I run this system off of a 5-channel like the Kicker IX1000.5, or should I go with a 4-channel for the speakers and a monoblock for the amp?

Opinions welcome on everything. I've done some research already, but I thought I'd get some expert advice before I committed to anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the lack of links, I guess I'm not allowed to post them yet :p

The question to ask is how inclined are you toward changing things?

If I was building that system for my wife, I'd use a 5 channel amp because it takes up less space and wouldn't require distro blocks or two runs of power wiring. But that's only because once she has a decent sounding system, she would never want to change it. Me on the other hand... I've had about five different woofers in my truck in the last six months so, I'm not interested in being tethered to one subwoofer amp.

So what is it? Can you do the build and leave it alone or are you going to catch the fever and keep on going up in power?

Speaking as someone who uses a 5 channel amp, with your current list of equipment, a 5 channel would be a nice fit for you, especially if you are looking for simplicity, space saving and don't really plan on any upgrades, or any bigger upgrades I should say, later on. That is how my system started. Now that I have gotten more into it, wanting to run more power, bigger subs and a 3 way active front stage, a 5 channel wouldn't be my choice as I now will need 7 channels to do what I want. So think about it a bit before you decide.

I always prefer 2 separate amps.
I always prefer 1 amp. You just have to shell out for a good one (see my signature). 5/6 Ch amps are easier to install, take up less space, and make tuning easier since it's all on one board. The Alpine V9 and JL HD/750 are two other good choices that can be had for about the cost of a 4ch and mono amp combined, but you will come out ahead by buying less wire and/or assorted installation accessories.

The question to ask is how inclined are you toward changing things?
If I was building that system for my wife, I'd use a 5 channel amp because it takes up less space and wouldn't require distro blocks or two runs of power wiring. But that's only because once she has a decent sounding system, she would never want to change it. Me on the other hand... I've had about five different woofers in my truck in the last six months so, I'm not interested in being tethered to one subwoofer amp.

So what is it? Can you do the build and leave it alone or are you going to catch the fever and keep on going up in power?
If I know myself, I'll probably want to tweak later down the line. In that case, I think I'll pick up the Kicker IX500.4 for the speakers and then a DX500.1 for the Comps. Since the comps are rated at 300 PEAK, I should be okay running them off of the 500 watt amp, right?

EDIT: Actually, if I understand correctly, I would run the risk of blowing the subs AND the speakers because I'd be overpowering them, right?

I think I'll go with 2 CompS 12" powered by a CX600.1 instead, and run the speakers off a DX400.4

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not going to blow any speakers by overpowering them that much. With impedance rise you never really send all the power you have to a sub (at least not long term), so as long as you have the gain set properly and you have a little bit of sense about you... running a sub or speaker 25-50% over power won't do any harm.

Of course, underpowering them won't blow them either. But trying to get more sound out of an underpowered speaker by overdriving the amp it's connected to will... so I prefer to have more power than needed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.