Whoops I Messed up my Friend's AMP! Help!

Bro its a POS amp if your friend cant except that and move on then let him go. It was broke when u touched it. Broke is broke so tell him to deal with his $10 loss or move along..

Yep I'm sure that amp was already broken... Buy him a 12pk of beer... That amp is not worth no more then that... How much did your friend said he paid for that amp?

when your intellegant its hard to speak idoit. from what i can comperhand he tried to turn the gain screw(wtf its a potentiometer how does screw come into play?) but he misunderstood the placement of the screw driver? i mean you too dumb to know where your puttng the driver? what the hell did you actually hit? its pretty bad when you brain tells your hand go here and you cannot make that happen. sorry OP you have a long road ahead.im guessing the pot came loose and its now not going though the pot(where lower or raisise ressitance in the circuit) so no hes not getting ANY output.

I highly recommedn you bring the amp to someone who can actually use a screw driver without screwing anything up..
No, you speak idiot quite well.

Thanks for all the replies to the thread. Here's the exact amp:
Audiovox Rampage Amp-591 300w Bridgeable Stereo Mosfet Amplifier W/ Crossover

Here are pictures of it torn apart:

IMG_1300.jpg

On this picture, I had already pushed the gain back to it's original position.

IMG_1301.jpg

Underneath:

IMG_1302.jpg

Closer View of Solder

IMG_1303.jpg
Those amp guts are so sad, lol

Look at the solder pic, thing overheated or fried for some reason. Your hamfisted attempts at "repairing" it didn't make it fail.

Alright listen guys, I'm out of place here. I know absolutely NOTHING about amps nor do I understand any of it. I have a brief knowledge of how electrical currents work but merely anything to compensate for what happened.
I can't even tell you the AMP brand. It's not in my possession and I don't have a memory of what it was called. It was a 300 watt.

So apparently, the guy he had previously bought it from had broken the gain switch. In order to turn the gain knob, you must take a flat head screw driver and turn the head of the screw. My friend wanted to mess around with it. I personally took a flat head screw driver and attempted to turn it.

I misunderstood the placement of the screw driver and I ended up pushing the screw backwards, thus turning the speaker off. The amplifier remained on and we replaced the fuse on the side of the amp. But, I do not think the fuse had been busted. And even if it was, if I placed another in there wouldn't it just bust as well? Regardless, the screw is now permanently pressed back and my friend left pissed as hell.

So now, I'm going to have to figure this out. Luckily enough, my neighbor's son is an electrician so maybe he'll help out. He's going to drop the amp off tomorrow for me to fix it because I told him I would or buy him a new one. Regardless, do you think this is an easy fix?
Whew...lesson learned DON'T TOUCH **** YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT...sheesh.

Now for some maybe helpful advice.

It is possible the amp was already damaged when your friend purchased it...he was a fool to do so but at least you get "some" credit for trying to help.

The gain is similar to the volume control on a tv...it controls the power output. Like a TV it can be "on" but if the volume control knob is turned completely off there will be no power sent out thus no sound but still "on".

Was the fuse burnt before you started trying to "fix" it? Did you check?

What do you mean by pushing the gain knob back to its' original position? The gain control screw is turned not pushed. If the gain control, and it sounds like it from your description, could be pushed at all it was likely broken/damaged prior to your friends purchase and possibly a short occurred where it connects to the PCB board causing a short circuit which likely damaged the gain control judging from the solder connections.

If you replace the fuse with a new one and it doesn't work it is likely not to work again...And it is an AudioVox device...That was a cheap *** company when I started installing back in the early '70's...

If the gain control knob is shot you likely won't find one that fits and even if you did it is probable that damage was done to the runs...they are quite thin and if damaged most likely not enough current or signal will be able to flow for it to work properly and more likely to cascade fail at some point if it does "work".

You can play around with it or let another but he bought broken stuff and paid the price...lesson learned "don't buy cheap *** broken ****".

Good luck and keep us informed...

That gain knob has threads on the other end of the little knob itself. It almost looks like you can try and screw it back in place and appears to be a push in type. But I could be wrong...just looks like so.

I'd surprise your buddy with a little better quality amp from like craigslist or something...just to kinda make it up to him. Guys are right in this thread....that's a low level brand.

I have a amp for sell that he will be excited to get pm me for details! Trust me he will forget that this ever happened
wow! I know this wasn't directed towards me but now I'm excited about this amp you have! Has OP contacted you yet?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

JayJay

JayJay
Wilmington, NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date