Whoops I Messed up my Friend's AMP! Help!

JayJay

Alright listen guys, I'm out of place here. I know absolutely NOTHING about amps nor do I understand any of it. I have a brief knowledge of how electrical currents work but merely anything to compensate for what happened.

I can't even tell you the AMP brand. It's not in my possession and I don't have a memory of what it was called. It was a 300 watt.

So apparently, the guy he had previously bought it from had broken the gain switch. In order to turn the gain knob, you must take a flat head screw driver and turn the head of the screw. My friend wanted to mess around with it. I personally took a flat head screw driver and attempted to turn it.

I misunderstood the placement of the screw driver and I ended up pushing the screw backwards, thus turning the speaker off. The amplifier remained on and we replaced the fuse on the side of the amp. But, I do not think the fuse had been busted. And even if it was, if I placed another in there wouldn't it just bust as well? Regardless, the screw is now permanently pressed back and my friend left pissed as hell.

So now, I'm going to have to figure this out. Luckily enough, my neighbor's son is an electrician so maybe he'll help out. He's going to drop the amp off tomorrow for me to fix it because I told him I would or buy him a new one. Regardless, do you think this is an easy fix?

wew lad..... thats some desperate pitch for a sale ^

he had an amp with a fucked up gain knob, how is that your fault?

if you installed it incorrectly and blew it thats a different story, needless to say, dont touch anyone elses car audio next time lol

When you get the amp post what it is

I'm sure we can help you track something down

Also Amazon has a decent amount of very cheap amps that will output more than 300w

Also also if your neighbors son is an electrician don't let him his it

There is a huge difference between housing electrical and circuit boards

You're literally illiterate //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
when your intellegant its hard to speak idoit. from what i can comperhand he tried to turn the gain screw(wtf its a potentiometer how does screw come into play?) but he misunderstood the placement of the screw driver? i mean you too dumb to know where your puttng the driver? what the hell did you actually hit? its pretty bad when you brain tells your hand go here and you cannot make that happen. sorry OP you have a long road ahead.

im guessing the pot came loose and its now not going though the pot(where lower or raisise ressitance in the circuit) so no hes not getting ANY output.

I highly recommedn you bring the amp to someone who can actually use a screw driver without screwing anything up..

when your intellegant its hard to speak idoit. from what i can comperhand he tried to turn the gain screw(wtf its a potentiometer how does screw come into play?) but he misunderstood the placement of the screw driver? i mean you too dumb to know where your puttng the driver? what the hell did you actually hit? its pretty bad when you brain tells your hand go here and you cannot make that happen. sorry OP you have a long road ahead.im guessing the pot came loose and its now not going though the pot(where lower or raisise ressitance in the circuit) so no hes not getting ANY output.

I highly recommedn you bring the amp to someone who can actually use a screw driver without screwing anything up..
Goodness you're a ****.

OP, you can attempt to fix it but if he's got an amp with a jacked up gain knob, that's not your fault. To get it repaired you'd be best off sending it to someone who repairs amplifiers, which can be pricey. Best of luck.

Goodness you're a ****.
OP, you can attempt to fix it but if he's got an amp with a jacked up gain knob, that's not your fault
typicallly i am, but im always willing to help. im not a bad guy just have a dark sense of humor.

i was quoting my son from yesteryear. he said my comperhension is/was bad. so i had to explain as to why i was slightly confused.

i dont mind helping the poor boy but this isnt a case for him to fix. he neeed someone professional..

Thanks for all the replies to the thread. Here's the exact amp:

Audiovox Rampage Amp-591 300w Bridgeable Stereo Mosfet Amplifier W/ Crossover

Here are pictures of it torn apart:

IMG_1300.jpg

On this picture, I had already pushed the gain back to it's original position.

IMG_1301.jpg

Underneath:

IMG_1302.jpg

Closer View of Solder

IMG_1303.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

JayJay

JayJay
Wilmington, NC
Start date