Why not 24 volt??

It doesn't matter that something is a good idea or more efficient. It only matters what the market values and since 99.999% of vehicles on the road have 12 volt electrical systems, that's what aftermarket electronics manufacturers cater to. It's the same reason why most software viruses are written for Windows and not Mac. More people use Windows so writing a virus that attacks Windows machines will reach a larger share of the market.

All that said, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying things. Personally, I think that's awesome. I'm just pointing out why there is such a small market for 24 volt electronics.

How much power does it take to spin those alts though?
Well the answer is I don't know?? I have a 6 hp Briggs n Stratton lawn mower motor rigged up to turn the 600 amp catapiller alt running to 2 tractor batts. I am using a boss 5k amp (yeah right) running in 1/2 ohm pushing 4 crappy subs. When I burp it it pulls the moter down a bit but not drastically. We are still having trouble with the voltage staying constant at 15v. It's only a matter of time before I get it right. I think it's gonna work I just want to get it working reliably before I try it on a high current amp. But soon I will have a 600 amp 24 volt alt with little to no ampreage drop under heavy loads.

It doesn't matter that something is a good idea or more efficient. It only matters what the market values and since 99.999% of vehicles on the road have 12 volt electrical systems, that's what aftermarket electronics manufacturers cater to. It's the same reason why most software viruses are written for Windows and not Mac. More people use Windows so writing a virus that attacks Windows machines will reach a larger share of the market.
All that said, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying things. Personally, I think that's awesome. I'm just pointing out why there is such a small market for 24 volt electronics.

I agree completely I am only attempting this because I have easy access to 24v alts and batts other than that I see no market for it.

This is more of a "wonder if it will work" project

Finally got it workin . I will be adding the alt as a "stand alone" or "isolated " system that will solely power the audio system . I am thinking that the 600 amp alt running to a bank of 4 18v batts will cover up to 450 amps without breaking anything (I hope )

Ok I got all the machining done on the bracket I will use to graft the alt onto my 02 rodeo this will be a test so I am going to put 2 ap apc1800's strapped to see if it can take daily abuse I will be running at 15v with the alt charging 4 tractor batts wired to 24v the voltage regulator sits after the batts . I am not sure if this is the best way to run the regulator or if it would be better to put it before the batts and buy batteries to match the voltage we will see ?!

1 thing I am adding to the set up is a 50 farred power block ma audio cap to help filter any noise I pick up from the alt, or regulator. I have a bunch of unknowns with this setup but the worst that can happen is frying the audiopipe's.

Since its the weekend I will put it all together in the morning and will have a report for you guys tomorrow. Hope I don't burn the rodeo to the ground lol.

Only thing I am concerned about is finding a belt to drive the alt I made a new pully for the stock alt with a standard belt and a common v belt pully infront of it . I also have 3" of adjustment in my bracket so I should be able to find a belt that will work... I hope lol

Waiting for everything in your vehicle to be shut down at 24 volts in for fire pics

Why would the vehicle have any issues when the 24v alt is not connected to it read the thread the 24v alt only powers the amps it is isolated from everything else

I have planned this out over the last 2 years I did not rig up a bunch of crap and hope it will works . The only thing I'm concerned about is noise from the regulator and/or the alt

I feel like with one of these huge alternators you would lose like 5 MPG at least. Just a thought. It would be equivalent to towing a trailer wherever you went 24/7 fuel economy wise. But us in car audio aren't always too concerned about practicality //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I want to see pics of this beast.!!

I think its an awesome project and I would really like to see pics of anything you have cobbled together so far. I have always wanted to do a project like this, but have almost no free time between family and my business. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif If you can get this done, More power to ya! (pun intended) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bumpasauras

10+ year member
Always Hurtin Ears!!
bumpasauras
West. TEXAS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date