why use the speakers I have ?

earld

I have a 1990 Cadillac Allante with the stock audio system. The receiver would not work and I sent it out to be repaired . That was done and when re-installed the sound had to be all the way up to hear the sound coming from the speakers. I sent a speaker off and found the Amp. was bad. The speakers are Bose units.

My question is why do I have to use another amplified speaker to get it to work? Can I not just install any other speaker and it work ?

I apologize I do not know very much about the audio system and just don't understand why I have to use the speakers with an Amp. The shop wants $90 bucks to repair the speaker. I have 4 . Just trying to get an easy way out.

Is there a way to make it work ?

Thanks

I have a 1990 Cadillac Allante with the stock audio system. The receiver would not work and I sent it out to be repaired . That was done and when re-installed the sound had to be all the way up to hear the sound coming from the speakers. I sent a speaker off and found the Amp. was bad. The speakers are Bose units. My question is why do I have to use another amplified speaker to get it to work? Can I not just install any other speaker and it work ?

I apologize I do not know very much about the audio system and just don't understand why I have to use the speakers with an Amp. The shop wants $90 bucks to repair the speaker. I have 4 . Just trying to get an easy way out.

Thanks
The Bose system has individual amplifiers for each speaker and they're mounted on the speakers or the housing. There are adapters that will allow you to run an aftermarket amplifier with those or some better quality speakers but the cost, in the short run, won't be less unless you're capable of doing the work yourself.

The benefit, however, is that you'll have a better sounding audio system.

I have a 1990 Cadillac Allante with the stock audio system. The receiver would not work and I sent it out to be repaired . That was done and when re-installed the sound had to be all the way up to hear the sound coming from the speakers. I sent a speaker off and found the Amp. was bad. The speakers are Bose units. My question is why do I have to use another amplified speaker to get it to work? Can I not just install any other speaker and it work ?

Thanks
The bose speakers are generally very low impedence, 1 ohm often. Meaning if you get the amp fixed and use a different speaker, it will not give that speaker much power. Also, the hu doesn't put out any power to the speaker it's all at each amp, so if the amp is bad you can't bypass it because you'll have no powered signal..

Really only options are to fix the amp or pull it all out and start new, including teh hu but tht wil be more than 90 however it will sound better lol.

get some new speakers, a 5 channel and and a headunit (sub too if ya want one) and go from there..... you can keep fixing your system, but it will keep breaking and costing you money....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.