Will I be happy with and 8" subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

shortyg83
10+ year member

¿
pa
Ok here is my current problem. As I have gotten older I downgraded my system as my need for space in my vehicles have grown.

I currently own a Jeep Patriot. It had a stock boston system which had 8 speakers and a subwoofer.

I have eliminated the boston speakers and put in infinity kappa speakers. They sounded ok off of the factory amplifier. But since the factory amplifier uses its own built in unchangeable crossovers. This caused the front door speakers to only act as a mid bass. And the used front dash mounted tweeters for highs. The boston subwoofer was still working fine.

I couldn't take the inability to change the sound so I got a cheap Clarion 4 channel amplifier to power the speakers. At first I hated the sound because I didn't set a crossover point. So I experimented with a 80hz and a 100hz crossover point. And the sound is 100 times better. But that is where my issue came. My factory sub received a digital signal from the old factory amplifier. And when I set the crossover it lost all ability. It was only a 6 inch sub so it wasn't really powerful anyway.

I am looking to get a 8 inch subwoofer to place in the stock location. I was going to go with a Sundown sd-2 d4 subwoofer. And a 500wrms amplifier. The box would be sealed at .4 cubic feet.

I am worried I won't be able to hear it at all in the jeep. I am not looking for window rattling power here I just want to be able to hear bass again. How do these subs perform and will I be happy?

I thought about ported at first. But I want the sub to go in the stock location. The only type of box I can fit is sealed sadly.

The box won't be square. And already really low on air space. If I added a port the displacement would make the box obscenely small. The internal would end up like .22 in a ported box. Which is much less than the recommended min of .5-.75

Granted my car is smaller than yours, I drive a 2000 subaru 2.5rs sedan.

I am running a sundown e8v4 in a custom ported enclosure mated to a JL audio e1400d amp, 400rms at 2 ohms.

I am pretty happy with how it sounds and performs. I have more than enough base without pounding my brains out.

Once the sub broke in, it got deeper and hit harder.

I could have gone with an E10 but wanted to conserve trunk space as my trunk is tiny plus my amp is very well suited to the sub specs.

I have personally used the sundown sd-2 8's extensively...8 of them at one time at one point. OP for the application you described the sd-2 8 with 500watts rms and .4 cubic feet will fulfill your needs. The sd-2 8 subwoofers are grossly underestimated at how they perform in sealed enclosures that small. Even with an external port you would be hard pressed to fit something that tuned close to 36hz that wasn't as big as the enclosure itself. Your intention of .4 cubic feet sealed with that particular sub is actually a good direction/plan. I say go for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.