Would This Dedicated Midbass Location Work

Participant count
  • Participant list

styro

Hi all, I'm in the process of researching and purchasing items to upgrade my Toyota 4Runner audio system to an active 3 way front stage. My current predicament is finding a proper location for a dedicated 8 inch midbass, either the Peerless SLS or Dayton Audio's RS225. I was originally going to install the midbass in the stock door location and the midrange in Q Form kick panels but 1) the aim on them is very poor and 2) they take up way too much room, especially on the drivers side. My left leg would always need to be bent and my foot would be almost under the brake pedal. There is a perfect location in the back lower portion of the front door but the driver would aim right at the side of the front seats, about 4-5 inches away. These photos I found on line shows the location I am thinking about. There is a nice big hole I can utilize and in the recessed panel area under armreat I would either perforate or cut out a hole. I am planning on crossing them at about 80hz to about 250hz. Would sound be to muffled or too directional or other. Thanx in advance. View attachment 26547675View attachment 26547676View attachment 26547677

It may actually be a decent location.

I can't find the link, but i read where midbass to the far sides actually create envelope and width. Of course you couldff never know before actually trying. I'm sure with time alignment and level control, if could be a good location.

I believe I was reading that thread you are talking about. Was it the very long one called "midbass arrays revisited" by lycan here: midbass arrays revisited - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum. I was actually reading an old post of yours from last June here: Setting up dedicated midbass. after I posted this question and there was a link to the "midbass arrays revisited". I had time to do a more thorough search. Thanx for your response though. Do you have a 3rd gen 4Runner? I bought the Q Forms from Crutchfield and placed the form into the kick to see how much room I would have and as I say, not much. I'm going to give that location a shot. If they sound bad I'll just need to find a better spot. I can try them without the panel on, before I'll need to make modifications. Thanx again.

I believe I was reading that thread you are talking about. Was it the very long one called "midbass arrays revisited" by lycan here: midbass arrays revisited - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum. I was actually reading an old post of yours from last June here: Setting up dedicated midbass. after I posted this question and there was a link to the "midbass arrays revisited". I had time to do a more thorough search. Thanx for your response though. Do you have a 3rd gen 4Runner? I bought the Q Forms from Crutchfield and placed the form into the kick to see how much room I would have and as I say, not much. I'm going to give that location a shot. If they sound bad I'll just need to find a better spot. I can try them without the panel on, before I'll need to make modifications. Thanx again.
Sorry, i didn't know you responded.

Have you tried the kick panel location yet.?

The q form panels won't work since they aren't sealed enclosures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.