would very much apreciate knowledgeable peoples input

Participant count
  • Participant list

dmoney68m8
10+ year member

tampa
well let me start by i'm new to pretty much everything about car audio but would like to learn as much as possible

i currently have 2 12" jl subwoofers that i believe are the wov3 versions, they are in a ported box and are running off of a j2 500.1 jl audio amp.

i used a 4g monster cable wiring kit and rca's to hook them up.

currently everything else in the car is stock, and oh it's a 4 door 2002 cavalier.

as soon as i get enough money i would like to install two 6.5" polk audio speakers in the front doors(i will have do some messing around with the mounts in order to get them to fit), and polk audio 6x9's in my rear deck.

eventually i plan on replacing the stock head unit with most likely a kenwood excelon head unit.

after all that's done and i get more money i would like to amp all the speakers as well, i was thinking a 4 channel power acoustik d4-1000 which is capable of 440rms i believe 80rms at 4 ohmsx4 if i'm correct. all the speakers are rated at 100rms each, does this seem like a good combo?

so far that's the for sure plan unless anybody has anything they suggest i change.

now for the not for sure plan i'd like to add some tweeters to my front speakers just tap into the 6.5" and use some bass blockers, any thoughts on this idea?

another idea which this one is kind of far fetched, i was thinking of some how getting 2 8" mid range drivers in box's along my rear floor using another amp coming off the j2 500.1 pre amp outputs.space is very limmited so doing this is unlikely, but still i'd like to hear some input on he idea.

finally adding 2 tweeters in the rear as well but i feel like unless i have the mid range drivers back there to balance it out there will be too many highs in my system, what do you think?

also any advice on what tweeters to get? or even door speakers? basically anything about anything i'd like to hear it.

thanks, and sorry for so much in one post

Welcome.

-Front speakers: buy components so you have separate tweeters already. Polk is fine.

-Buy a new head unit before you buy rear 6x9's. Kenwood is good.

-Remove the rear 6x9's until you can afford to replace them.

-The factory radio won't power aftermarket speakers well at all, replacing it is a critical item.

-Amping speakers is great, but extra work and hassle and investment. I would buy a 4 channel amp before rear speakers.

-More tweeters is not going to give better sound, usually the opposite. If Polk tweets aren't loud enough for you, get some Infinity Kappa front components. You only need 2 tweeters in a car - one left and one right. On-axis is louder than off-axis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.