your biggest car audio mistake...

My mistake was thinking I had out grown the boom phase and only cared about SQ now...
So, I bought 3 JL 12W6s... They sound Kick a$$ even at max volume, but tehy just don't kick you in the ribs or go deep enough.... They sound like what I hope my next system sounds like with the mute button on... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I want it Hella loud, but sound good too...
Ya dont we all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Lemme know when you figure it all out K ?

Yep, my 89 Cutlass Ciera has 3.5's in the dash and 6x9's in the rear deck supported by a hanging bracket. :thumbsdow
Could I please have a bigger pic of your aviatar ??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif):))://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif))//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)))

My biggest mistake was leaning on my truck while twisting power wire.
And this shocked you? Ive done this many times before, held onto the power wire and been touching something grounded, even in the rain when I all my clothes were damp and never once had a slight tingle. I guess your just made of steel though :p

Well. I bought a pyramid Royal Red sub when i first got into this. I figured it was royalty so it should be fine. Two days I fried the voice coil pitch black. It did actually bump half decent before it died (for the price). Uh then I got into audiobahn thinking they were the shizzy because they didn't burn up (got some cheapy 15's).I did make a good profit locally on them. Then I bought some audiobahn 10's. Huge mistake. They were expensive and didn't get loud or sound good AT ALL! However the red velvet 10" box kicked major ass. Getting an audiobahn component set is the hugest mistake ever by far. They accept alot of wattage but just sound like **** especially when it sees the wattage. Then I 'got it' after a couple months and got some hifonics amps and ed subs and soon some CDT components.

here was a stupid one i did today

went to throw in my new soundstream edge 4120, and like an idiot i toss my ground and power aside for a second then "POP" huge ass green spark cause the two wires touched. go check my inline fuse and sure enough its blown

so this is on christmas day so i have to wait a whole day for a fuse to hear what this amp sounds like just because i was so careless :thumbsdow

I have a couple of mistakes that i will share. when i first started this hobby with my best friend we were troubleshooting our first system . he had just got a deal on the equipment and didn't have the money to get it installed. so we were both like what the heck it can't be too hard it's only three wires and some rca cables right. well it didn't play at first but once we finally got it play it sound good and hit hard to us anyway. so we immediately jumped it the car turned the volume up and headed to the park. while going up a hill we heard a loud thump that wasn't from the subs and started smelling a burning smell. turns out in all the excitement of installing our first system we forgot to screw the amp and wires down.

my second story i was doing some custom work in my friends honda accord and while cutting out a piece in his trunk i accidently cut all the wires from the main wiring harness going into the trunk. didn't know it until he called me a said that he got pulled over for not having any brake lights and that none of his back lights worked

i just recently built a nice big ported box that takes up my whole trunk....and got the measurements to 32x32x12 inches with an inch to spare on all sides...not a very big trunk...but any ways

i build the box out of 3/4 mdf and had it all complete and carpeted sealed great, put the subs in the amp on top...went to slide it in the car and i when i took measurements i did it at floor level and forgot to take in acount the depth diference that the angle of the back seat would make a foot off the floor where the top of the box is ...had to completely take apart the back half of the box and cut all the peices //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It's a toss up between:

On my first install - I ran my power wire through my door frame, with out a fuse.

One day doing work on the vehicle, I opened the door and pinched the wire in the hinge. The next time I looked up there was smoke coming out from the hood.

On my second system - I bought a pair of Pyramid Pro 10's and a pyramid 800 watt (read 8.00 watt) amplifier for $100 CDN. And thought it sounded good!!!! oi, my younger nieive(sp?) days

Yep, my 89 Cutlass Ciera has 3.5's in the dash and 6x9's in the rear deck supported by a hanging bracket. :thumbsdow
Thers away around the hanging bracket, drill right threw the top insalation stuff and put your screws threw it with washers, works like a charm.

And this shocked you? Ive done this many times before, held onto the power wire and been touching something grounded, even in the rain when I all my clothes were damp and never once had a slight tingle. I guess your just made of steel though :p
Shocked me...hell yes. I learned my lesson..pull the fuse.

Yah, I just discovered what wire harnesses were. Before I ended up clipping my Audi's car harness plugs off...leaving me with about twenty Eurpopean color coded wires that I had no idea where they went to. Sucky.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.