88.9 mm xmax????????

Actually this isnt a bs spec. Earthquake Sound is a very well respected and known company, breaking db records with their magma series subs in the 90's, I have one of the dbxi-15D's in my bimmer, and it hits extremely hard and low. I recently placed a cigarette pack 3" from the center of the cone and it does indeed knock it out of my hand. There are many many videos on youtube of these types of demonstrations, people breaking cd's by holding them up against the port etc. Your amazon figures are incorrect as they do not make a dbxi 15 series for their home theater. very simple to do the research guys, watch them in action instead of spouting off.

You may have been mistaken by the fact they use some of the dbxi's technology inside of the driver, but it isnt a dbxi, it is indeed a seperate unique woofer they use inside the MKVI-15

I have owned manymany subwoofers over the years, and the dbxi is an incredible subwoofer.

To answer the initial question more fully, the object of any speaker is to convert audio signals in the form of electrical signals into mechanical energies which produce sound/sound waves. In the case of the subwoofer mentioned, more xmax /longer throw will in theory produce higher levels of spl (sound pressure level) at lower frequencies.

Actually this isnt a bs spec. Earthquake Sound is a very well respected and known company, breaking db records with their magma series subs in the 90's, I have one of the dbxi-15D's in my bimmer, and it hits extremely hard and low. I recently placed a cigarette pack 3" from the center of the cone and it does indeed knock it out of my hand. There are many many videos on youtube of these types of demonstrations, people breaking cd's by holding them up against the port etc. Your amazon figures are incorrect as they do not make a dbxi 15 series for their home theater. very simple to do the research guys, watch them in action instead of spouting off.
You may have been mistaken by the fact they use some of the dbxi's technology inside of the driver, but it isnt a dbxi, it is indeed a seperate unique woofer they use inside the MKVI-15
You are a failure to the thread and have no idea what you are talking about.

Bro STFU you sound just bout retarded..

I have owned manymany subwoofers over the years, and the dbxi is an incredible subwoofer.

To answer the initial question more fully, the object of any speaker is to convert audio signals in the form of electrical signals into mechanical energies which produce sound/sound waves. In the case of the subwoofer mentioned, more xmax /longer throw will in theory produce higher levels of spl (sound pressure level) at lower frequencies.
thus why we need the groan button back

Lol, way to prove your self as a moron in your first post.

Nice troll brah. IP check?

Nobody needs to watch anything in action to know that the claimed 88.9mm figure is blatantly impossible due to the reasons I listed. If you do not understand the figures carry on... if you did you would already see that it's a BS claim on that model due to physical impossibility.

If you want an Earthquake sub that has REAL high excursion look at a HoleeS which has 44.5mm of simple coil over-hang -- this would translate into around 100mm p-p linear travel by 70% BL assuming the motor is deep enough to support it. If the article from Car Audio Mag is accurate (and it is linked on Earthquake's site so I assume it is) the sub would actually bottom out at 38.5mm ** which is still a very high x-max one-way... the surround and spiders of the driver are more than capable of this as well.

News & Reviews

"Horsepower for this gonzo subwoofer is provided by FEA (Finite Element Analysis) computer designed motor structure that includes four 19mm thick 275mm diameter stacked ferrite magnets sandwiched between the 38mm thick front plate and the chromed 20mm thick shaped T-yoke (a T-yoke combines the backplate and the polepiece to complete the magnetic circuit and focus all the magnetic energy in the front plate gap) with a 7mm deep bumpout to prevent the voice coil from “bottoming” (hitting the backplate on a rear stroke). Additional convection cooling is provided by a 20mm diameter pole vent and eight 9mm peripheral vents surrounding the pole vent and located on the bottom of the T-yoke bumpout. All in, this gives the HoleeS a total mounting depth of 14.25”.

The voice coil attached to the cone assembly is also pretty amazing. This is an extremely long voice coil and measures 127mm (5”) long and 76mm (3”) in diameter. The voice coil former material is black anodized aluminum and wound with an 8 layer (two 4 layer 1 Ohm windings) flat copper wire coil."

** 127mm long coil / 38mm top-plate / Quad 19mm magnet stack / 7mm bump-out

127mm - 38mm top plate = 89mm total coil over-hang = 44.5mm rear over-hang

76mm magnet + 7mm bump-out = 83mm total rearward clearance

83mm - 44.5mm = 38.5mm remaining clearance past over-hang

-----

So... even in terms of the company pricing structure how does it make sense to have a $300 sub with more excursion than the flag-ship $1500+ driver ?

If that still doesn't ring any bells for you I don't know what to tell you. Saying the driver in the original post has 88.9mm of x-max is like saying you put 2 gallons of water in a 1 gallon jug... or that you drove 4 miles on a 2 mile road. It just isn't possible and simple measurements prove it... I don't have to watch you in action trying to pour 2 gallons into the 1 gallon jug... common sense and logic tell me it's not possible.

check out that earthquake holee tho. heard one.....i will admit it was ****** nasty. but it can be beat without looking too hard.

too late ^^^
you should have heard the sub with that motor before earthquake ''fixed'' it.

Jacob that is a shocker sig motor on the HoleeS

going off the top of my head.

1.25'' top plate triple .75 slugs and 1'' back plate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Colossus281

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Colossus281
Albuquerque nm
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date