Amp Not Powering On

Participant count
  • Participant list

gap1533

Iowa
Hello caraudio, this is my first post and I am in need of help indeed!

My amplifier is not powering on, on a consistent basis. Sometimes it will.... other times it won't. Here's the rundown of my wiring and what I have checked thus far.

My 8 gauge power wire has an in-line fuse and connects directly to the positive terminal of my car battery. I have checked this fuse for continuity with a dmm and it is good. My 8 gauge ground uses the same post that my battery grounds to. When all is hooked up and car is off my dmm reads 12V between the + and - terminals on the amp. When I check the remote wire the dmm also reads 12V between the remote terminal and ground terminal. With the car running, both read 14V+. All that said.... the amp does not power on.

At this point, I was concerned that my amp was no good. For kicks I disconnected the remote wire and added a jumper from the main power. The amp powered on and worked that way for a few days... now it won't.

My theory is that my car battery is not able to power on the amp. To check this manually, I added a switch so that I could control the remote wire directly, rather than my head unit doing so. This way, I could fire up the car, wait as long as I felt necessary, and then power up the amp.... no dice. What is really confusing me is that there are 14V+ at the amp, so I know it has power to it, it just doesn't work on a consistent basis.

Any suggestions?

If it's of any consequence, I am trying to push a 1600 watt Lanzar.

what amplifier is it? rerun a jumper from the 12v batt to the rem and see if the amp will turn on at all with the car off, go ahead and unplug all RCAs and speaker wires if you want to be thorough.

Have you checked the amplifier internal fuse?

The amp is a Lanzar VIBE258 1600W. I have run the jumper with the car off and it has powered the amp on at times, but currently it is not. I have done this with everything else disconnected with success at time and at other times not.... I can't see to find a pattern or culprit. This is why I wonder if the battery is weak, but it fires up the car no problem and is still supplying 14V to the amp.

I have checked the two 20A fuses on the outside of the amp, but have not actually gone inside of the amp. Is there a fuse inside you suggest I check?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.