Amp Selection for Two 10inch Type R's

blsj1486
10+ year member

Memphis
Hi guys. I've been looking for a nice amp to power two 10 inch type R's.

Should I go with 1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8265548&type=product&id=1170289779572

or 2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696351&type=product&id=1198888991131

I've done a nice amount of research and reviewed these forums but I'm still unsure what to purchase. I've read that type R's are really power hungry but I still don't fully understand how car audio, bridging, ohms, etc. work.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Rockford will own that Kenwood. What voice coil configuration do subs have, or have you bought them? If you haven't, but the Dual 4 ohm version.

Are you buying online, or are you buying from a retail store? Buying the Rockford online could save you at $250.

I can sell you a Hifonics 1205 (2005) I was the first owner, used it for about 8 months, my friend has it right now powering 2 sd2.5s, he has had it for 2 months at the moment, if you want it I can give you a link to my old fs thread with pics and username/date

$80

I believe they have dual 4 ohm voice coils. I want to buy online, but buying retail has the benefit of a 4 year warranty while buying online usually has a year warranty max. Retail markup is insane, but I figure if I bought the amps or subs online, and blew them and had to replace them, it would be more than buying them retail with a 4 year warranty.

Also, I've heard that type R's have a tendency blow after a few months so I want to be on the safe side.

Also, I've heard that type R's have a tendency blow after a few months so I want to be on the safe side.
Well if you don't want my Hifonics it's fine, I would rather take the RF as it puts out quite a bit more power and is a better built brand imo.

And I ran my Type R on my 1205 for 8 months no problem, you can run a sub as long as you want unless you push the limits

So whoever you heard this from didn't blow it from "wearing it out" or anything of that sort.

ya don't buy from best buy. 600 bucks for 500 RMS is insane. so ya if you did not by the subs get get the dual 4s so you can wire to one ohm. whats your budget for the amp?

lol 600 bux for type r's is rediculous. I bought my 3 type r's 12" for 100 a peice with a 1 year warranty from ebay. I would rather have a 1 year warranty than pay 600 for a 4 year. plus after one year things always change (TIME TO UPGRADE!!!) WOO HOO

lol 600 bux for type r's is rediculous. I bought my 3 type r's 12" for 100 a peice with a 1 year warranty from ebay. I would rather have a 1 year warranty than pay 600 for a 4 year. plus after one year things always change (TIME TO UPGRADE!!!) WOO HOO
It would be 450 for two type r's with a comprehensive 4 year warranty which I guess I could get for $200 wholesale. Yea, the mark up is 100%, but it comes with a lot of piece of mind. Yea it wounds bad and overpriced, but I'm going for reliability.

So I assume that the one rocksford trumps two of the kenwood amps?

Even though the amp lists 500 Watts RMS it has a birth sheet and you would be running it at 1 Ohm with those subs, which on the birth sheet of my 1000-1bd it hit 1358 RMS at 1 Ohm.

I am running 2 12" Type-R's (500 W RMS each) at 1 Ohm and it POUNDS! Make sure you get the right enclosure.

Another optiopn for you especially if you are buying from Best Buy is getting 2 MRP-M500 and running one amp to each. It would save you two hundred bucks and still be REALLY loud. Here is a link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699358&st=mrp-m500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649210874

Even though the amp lists 500 Watts RMS it has a birth sheet and you would be running it at 1 Ohm with those subs, which on the birth sheet of my 1000-1bd it hit 1358 RMS at 1 Ohm.
I am running 2 12" Type-R's (500 W RMS each) at 1 Ohm and it POUNDS! Make sure you get the right enclosure.

Another optiopn for you especially if you are buying from Best Buy is getting 2 MRP-M500 and running one amp to each. It would save you two hundred bucks and still be REALLY loud. Here is a link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699358&st=mrp-m500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649210874

Thanks for the link to the amp. I assume the Rockford will pound harder than two Alpines?

Also, what's the dumbed down definition of ohms, bridged, and continuous power? Thw type R's are 4 ohms, but you said I should play them at one ohm. And it seems like the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696351&type=product&id=1198888991131 is more powerful and puts out more wattage than the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699358&st=mrp-m500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649210874 for the same price. Ahhhhhh the confusion.

As for the right enclosure... I've read that type R's should always be placed in a ported box. I've also heard that a really tightly sealed box makes for a tight and precise mid bass. What's best?

Thanks for the link to the amp. I assume the Rockford will pound harder than two Alpines?
Also, what's the dumbed down definition of ohms, bridged, and continuous power? Thw type R's are 4 ohms, but you said I should play them at one ohm. And it seems like the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696351&type=product&id=1198888991131 is more powerful and puts out more wattage than the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699358&st=mrp-m500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649210874 for the same price. Ahhhhhh the confusion.

As for the right enclosure... I've read that type R's should always be placed in a ported box. I've also heard that a really tightly sealed box makes for a tight and precise mid bass. What's best?
I would not go with the Kenwood unless you really want to save money...the rockford will be the best as long as you have high enough pre outs. Otherwise, I would go with the two alpine amps...again just make sure pre outs are high enough. Or, you could use a pass through if the amps have it.

The Type r subs are Dual 4 Ohm...meaning they are two 4 ohm voice coils, and having two of them will result in a one ohm load to the amplifier (For one amp...each sub will be at two ohms if you do two amps) So the amps I am recommending to you are the correct ones for the type r's. If you are having it installed professionally then they will know what to do.

As far as the ported box goes...I haven't heard that at all. The type R's need to be in the right enclosure...I had one in a ported box by MTX and it was really loud. I think the type r's will sound better sealed in the right enclosure...

The dumbed down version: Continuous power is the real power you want to look at. Bridged is referring to a 2 channel amp that you connect one side of the right channel to the other side of the left channel (ultimately resulting in more power overall...hopefully). Dual Voice Coils refer to the amount of voice coils present in the subwoofer...two voice coils in one subwoofer are like two subwoofers in one. That means there will be two pairs of terminals on one subwoofer. But this is gettign more complicated than the dumbed down version.

If you are set on the Type-R's then go with the rockford 1000-1 or the two Alpine M500's. I think the two alpines will be best but the rockford will save on having to buy more wiring (distro blocks, dual amp kit, etc.) but the Alpines are cheaper.

Sorry for the long post.

well i got two type rs in a sealed box (not by choice:rolleyes:) and they hit pretty hard of my hifonics zeus (500 rms i think...hifonics wasn't my choice ether:rolleyes:). But my point is that type r's can be loud in a sealed and they I'm second owner of the r's and they still live on (I'm giving them to my gf and will put them into a ported box).

main idea is : type r's are loud subs and will serve you well if used right

they can serve you in a sealed box but im sure will be louder in ported

don't buy amps from best buy:p:

Thanks for all of the replys. Yea I know buying from Best Buy isn't the best move, but the warranty is great.

If I buy equipment off the net and have it installed at a local shop they've pretty much said if they install wrong of if something break I'm sol.

Thanks for the reply Kassidy. I'll just factor in the costs of the wiring, dual amp kit, etc. into the Alpines and go with whatever is cheaper since I'll get about the same power from them.

Thanks for all of the replys. Yea I know buying from Best Buy isn't the best move, but the warranty is great.
If I buy equipment off the net and have it installed at a local shop they've pretty much said if they install wrong of if something break I'm sol.

Thanks for the reply Kassidy. I'll just factor in the costs of the wiring, dual amp kit, etc. into the Alpines and go with whatever is cheaper since I'll get about the same power from them.
Cool, you're welcome. As far as the wiring goes I would get that offline and get a brand name kit like Rockford, JL Memphis, or Kicker because you can't get a warranty from Best Buy on the wiring but all of those brands make great wiring kits and there is HUGE markup on them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.