amplifier "gain" settings

• Thread starter <imral3>
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 5K
&

<imral3>

I just installed two 12" MA Audio subs, enclosed in a sealed box, in my car.(Upgrade from two 10" Sony's in a bandpass). The subs are 400w max and I am currently driving each sub with it's own MTX amplifier (briged mode) which are rated at 200w max output. Eventually I will get a nice class D amp, but, for now I am stuck with the MTX amps. Anyway, now for my question(s): How do I ensure I have the proper level set for the "gain" and "bass" knobs? Is the "gain" level more of a science and the "bass" level more so a preference?

Is each setting dependant upon the other's? I am currently experiencing some loss of bass and I think it is because I don't have the levels set correctly yet. Help!!!!!

the gain lever adjusts the output of the amp (how many watts it puts out), you should be able to turn that all the way up and the subs should handle it (if they are 400 and the amp is only 200). The bass lever is probably the bass boost knob, it adjusts how much boost you want, usually from about 0-12db or so. If u want it to sound good, turn the gain all the way up and then adjust the bass boost till it sounds good, sometimes too much bass boost sounds muddy. If u just want it loud, turn both the gain and the bass all the way up.

hope this helps,

Dustin

I would not suggest turning the gain all the way up on your amp unless you keep your deck volume at moderate low level. Turning the gain all the way up is forcing the amp to put out all that it's got. This can cause overheating leading to internal amp probs and also it puts out distortion when you crank the volume. Even if you can't hear it, the distortion is there which will quickly reduce the life of your subs. The bass knob can be turned up all the way if the gains are down. From my experience with amps of all different qualities, I found the best setting as this: Gains set at about 2/3 of the way and bass set at 3/4 way. This should give you safe operation.

Originally posted by :I would not suggest turning the gain all the way up on your amp unless you keep your deck volume at moderate low level. Turning the gain all the way up is forcing the amp to put out all that it's got. This can cause overheating leading to internal amp probs and also it puts out distortion when you crank the volume. Even if you can't hear it, the distortion is there which will quickly reduce the life of your subs. The bass knob can be turned up all the way if the gains are down. From my experience with amps of all different qualities, I found the best setting as this: Gains set at about 2/3 of the way and bass set at 3/4 way. This should give you safe operation.
Natem is right, turning your gain all the way up is bad advise. Here's how I adjusted mine.

Turn the gain all the way down, then turn the volume on your stereo up about 75 percent of the way. Slowly turn the gain up until you hear distortion and then back off the gain about 10 percent.

Using bass boost will add distortion at high volumes so I'm not a big fan of too much bass boost.

no disrespect "thumpinblazr" but unfortunately i got your advice first and tried it and it sounded pretty bad... then along came some good advice from "natem33" (backed up by "legendz28") and it sounds pretty good so far... not as bangin' as my two 10's in a band pass yet, but it will probably take me a couple of weeks to get it right... keep the GOOD advice coming ladies and gentlemen...thanks!

amplifier gain setting I believe is one of th most overlookd aspects of system performance and needs to be dealt with in a less hasty manner than most give it. My 2cents worth sez ther is a narrow range over which your head unit/x-over will optimally match up with your amp-to find it, i suggest to first get a good recording that has deep bass and extended highs-if u listen closely, u'll notice as u increase amp gain there is a point ur deep bass will start to drop off and become too mid-bassy/grainy; midrange takes over, distortion picks up. Back off till u get a good balance. This characteristic holds true for most stages of amplifier gain and is important to know!

Usually there's two knobs on your amp the hz and the db. Kick you db all the way up and keep turning the hz knob until you're content with the sound.

THis has nothing to do with your question..but do you still have the two 10" bandpass box..i'm thinking i'd kind of like to buy one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.