Audioque HDC3 12" break in period?

so all you people telling him not to worry ready to pay for a recone if something happens? Laminated spiders tear easy, There is zero problems that will arise from breaking your sub in for a day or 2.
If the sub is damaged then it is user error not from the lack of break in. There is the off chance there is a defect in the subwoofer itself, but that would be there now and cause issues regardless of the method in which he plays it.

No harm will come from him doing so, but it is 100% not needed. Please advise me were and how it will result in a better operational subwoofer over just playing it normally out of the bxo. Do not use their faulty soft parts as a reason, as I tested every possible method of using/"break in" to this very subwoofer while I was employed there(and employed for this very reason). In the end regardless of "break in" or not unless there is 100% proof that glue failed and the user understands what to look for(and pushes that point_, they won't cover any warranty and the user will need to pay for a recone. It is very simple there.

So where should I set it at if you think? And how long til I can pump it full with bass boost?
Never use bass boost. Prior to installing any of your gear, it would do a lot of good to read up on how to set up your amps and enclosure information. Then you can move forward with installation. As long as you learned from your research you can use the sub from day 1 how you intend on using it. No reason to "break it in".

so all you people telling him not to worry ready to pay for a recone if something happens? Laminated spiders tear easy, There is zero problems that will arise from breaking your sub in for a day or 2.
Of course not. I'm just assuming that AQ takes the time to test all of their subs to pass a QC inspection. If they pass the inspection, then they should be good to fine at their rated continuous power. I mean, it's obviously possible for a sub to get past QC, but you can always say that you were breaking the subs in when they experienced failure.

Oh and should I set my amps bass frequency at 34hz being that's what my box is tuned to? If you guys could give me some good spots to put the knobs that would be nice.
No. Are you referring to the subsonic filter? Or the low-pass filter? Or something else?

sometimes the clipping is not audible. usually, without a dmm or scope, setting your gain at less than half will be ok....and no bass boost.
That's a pretty large blanket, there. You're very wrong, too.

Clipping is like where your music gets cut off by bass or somethin like that? I saw a diagram from it buy I didnt really understand it tho. If someone can make it simpler for me to understand that'd be kool.
No. Your signal is like a sine wave, constantly moving in that pattern. When you're trying to send a clipped signal to a speaker(sub), the wave is no longer rounded, but square. The square wave creates excessive heat and eventually damages your sub, regardless of the power you're giving it.

So where should I set it at if you think? And how long til I can pump it full with bass boost?
Forget about bass boost altogether. If you want to be extra careful(not a bad thing), then set your gain lower than you normally would. Depending on your head unit's preamp output voltage, you might be able to get a decent amount of output with having the gain set as low as it can go, and you won't need to worry about blowing the sub.

ok, then how can one be sure he's not harming anything if they don't have the tools to properly set? serious question, not sarcasm.
There's no way to be sure, for the most part. The best way to guess(and it is guessing unless you set it with a proper tool), is by looking at your head unit's preamp output voltage, and setting the gain to match that as closely as possible(gain settings are usually labeled as input sensitivity, with the low side being the highest input voltage, and the high side being the lowest voltage; it's often something like 5V-.2mV). If you have a head unit with 4V preamp outputs, try to set it near where 4V would be.

Most amps don't have labels for all of that, so you'll be completely guessing, but it's an okay way to set your gains conservatively.

Never use bass boost. Prior to installing any of your gear, it would do a lot of good to read up on how to set up your amps and enclosure information. Then you can move forward with installation. As long as you learned from your research you can use the sub from day 1 how you intend on using it. No reason to "break it in".
Why no bass boost? Isn't it there for a reason? Where would I find some info? I doubt anyone has the exact same setup as me.

Well, that blows.
Gain - min-max

LPF 40-180hz

Subsonic off-50 hz

Bass boost freq 30-80hz

Bass boost 0-12db

Ok those are my settings.

I have my gain up around 25% right now and I'm definitely happy! But the best has got to come right? Can I run at 25% gain to break it in a week or two an that will be ok? What's the maximum gain i should run before it gets dangerous? After its broke in of course.

Also I'd there are any suggestions on the other ones please share, I notice these hit medium and low frequencies much better but not the highs. My volfs actually hit btr on highs. Any idea why? Love the ways these sound but if theres something I can tweak to make it all sound gOod then I will!

bass boost induces clipping, clipping causes the voltage to spike and stops the cone from moving correctly making the sub over heat.
After bein broken in, can it take like 1-2db's of bass boost? Like use it sparingly and not abuse it? Or ABSOLUTELY not at all, not even 1db of it?

Gain - min-maxLPF 40-180hz

Subsonic off-50 hz

Bass boost freq 30-80hz

Bass boost 0-12db

I have my gain up around 25% right now and I'm definitely happy! But the best has got to come right? Can I run at 25% gain to break it in a week or two an that will be ok? What's the maximum gain i should run before it gets dangerous? After its broke in of course.

Also I'd there are any suggestions on the other ones please share, I notice these hit medium and low frequencies much better but not the highs. My volfs actually hit btr on highs. Any idea why? Love the ways these sound but if theres something I can tweak to make it all sound gOod then I will!
What is your enclosure tuned to? Your Volfenhags(if they were in a ported box) were probably tuned too high, resulting in a peak in the higher frequencies.

Gain - min-maxLPF 40-180hz

Subsonic off-50 hz

Bass boost freq 30-80hz

Bass boost 0-12db

I'm trying to help you, but it seems as if you not understanding or readig what has been posted.

1. There is no need to break the sub in. You gain no extra power handling or anything other then a softer suspension, which happens no matter what.

2. There is an amplifier tech section on this forum with helpful info. Read through that before you do anything else with your setup.

3. No, do not use bass boost. There is no reason to even want to use it if you are setting everything up properly.

4. Research!!!! If you ate not sure research again. If you still don't get it, then stop messing with it and pay some one else to ensure things are done correctly.

What is your enclosure tuned to? Your Volfenhags(if they were in a ported box) were probably tuned too high, resulting in a peak in the higher frequencies.
34hz and my volfs were in a sealed box. May I ask can you please answer the gain questions, that's a big thing for me cuz I turned the gain from like 20 to 25 and it made a huge difference lol

I'm trying to help you, but it seems as if you not understanding or readig what has been posted.
1. There is no need to break the sub in. You gain no extra power handling or anything other then a softer suspension, which happens no matter what.

2. There is an amplifier tech section on this forum with helpful info. Read through that before you do anything else with your setup.

3. No, do not use bass boost. There is no reason to even want to use it if you are setting everything up properly.

4. Research!!!! If you ate not sure research again. If you still don't get it, then stop messing with it and pay some one else to ensure things are done correctly.
I understand. I just wanna be safe with breaking it in. What would be your suggestions to put the gain on then if breaking it in isn't a thing to do. Should I post this thread in the amp tech and it would be better?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Quick

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Quick
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date