bass frequency sounds the same? why?

reed dollaz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ocala, FL
for some reason all the bass notes sound the same, just some hit longer, shorter, or in different rythym. they all basicly sound the same tho, is there a reason to this? almost as if theyre all being drowned out, or smothered. i installed the amp and all its wiring today, and havent had much time to mess with it. it got dark, and its raining like mad outside. no bass boost is on, no bass knob. nothing. only thing controlling the subwoofer is the gain and its not even half way. its half way to the half way point. heh. think its the box maybe? specs in sig

Well for one L7's aren't exactly known for great sound quality...putting it nicely.

Other than that it could be a lot of things. What is your LPF set on, if it's really low there is a chance that you just aren't playing enough notes on your sub. Some people put their LPF really low, like 60Hz or below, so basically you're only getting a 30/40hz range since most music doesn't play below 20-30Hz anyway.

It could just be your car. Some cars carry sound differently, I noticed when I had my box firing at the back of my trunk the SQ was wayyyyyyyyyy worse than when I fired it at the cabin. Granted I lost some volume, but I'm pleased overall since I don't care too much about SPL.

Give us more details...

i have no LPF on my amp, that i know of. i havent looked. i installed it quickly, ill have more time to mess with it tomorrow. on my HU (6900UB) i have the subwoofer set at 80HZ but i did notice that when it was set at 125HZ it hit the notes a little better (i did this after i made this thread) ill have to just play with it tomorrow and set it. didnt have much time today.

prefab kicker ported, assuming built to specs of the l7
Then most likely as the cybe said, it's the crossover on your amp, or possibly in your head unit, also you may want to kill your bass boost if you're using it.

As for the "well it's an L7" comments. That's stupid guys.

I'm not saying an L7 sounds bad, I'm just saying it's not an SQ woofer.

I went from an L7, to an audiobahn, to my current Fi Q, and it's pretty much night and day.

My guess is it's got something to do with the filter and EQ settings.

It's not the sub. While I don't exactly consider the L7 to be the pinnacle of SQ, especially in a vented enclosure, the bass still shouldn't be totally homogenous in terms of sound.

Do you have any bass boost enabled, on the HU or amp? EQ? Disable ALL boost and see if that helps. Also, try crossing it over lower, NOT higher, and reduce your subwoofer level.

I noticed you said you don't have a LPF? Do you you not have a crossover at all? Most decent amps today have a a crossover built in, if not then you need to buy & install a seperate,external crossover. You need a Low Pass Crossover, & two high Pass crossover settings. The crossover is there to make sure the right frequencys are directed to the right speakers. For example you want to start your Low Pass filter setting at around 80hz and maybe go down just a little from there depending on the sound, but you don't want to go too far under 80hz or you will be cutting out too many bass frequencys! Same thing applys to your mid range speaker and high range speakers but of course diferent frequenys. Also if you want sound quality, witch that's how mine is set up also, you should be using a sealed enclosure but if your not then there is another setting you need to be using. When using a ported enclosure you need to set your lpf and then there is another setting that will cut off the real low frequencys from going through. Like you would set it around 15-20hz, that way nothing lower than those frequncys will come through.I've noticed diferent manufactuers have diferent names for that setting but all do the same thing. On a sealed box you need not worry about that setting only a ported box. Just sounds to me that you don't have your crossover settings set up right yet so I would focus on that and see what it sounds like. Hope this helps you put some

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.