Biggest boom with JL 500.1

New here and hoping to get advice on replacing my subs.

So last year I bought a JL 500.1 amp and two 12" Diamond Audio D112D2.2 subs in a ported box, all for $350. I thought that was an okay deal because of the amp.

Long story short, one of the subs recently fried because the amp is overpowering them, so now I'm searching for the perfect subs to replace the cheap diamonds with and keep the ported box. If it matters, I'm driving a hyundai tiburon.

The main question I need answered is: what 12" subs (so I can keep using the enclosure) will be the best for the JL 500.1 to power? I really want them to hit hard, and I do know the amp isn't going to power me to winning any competitions.

I've really gotten interested in SSA Dcons, Kicker CVRs, and RE SRs. I'd like to stay around the price of those.

Thanks!

You are leaving a few things out that need answered.

1. Why did you sub become damaged? Was it over powered or clipped?

2. What are you enclosure specs? Is it prefab or custom?

3. What are you goals and musical tastes?

Odds are you will need to get a new enclosure designed/built for what ever subs you will end up purchasing.

When attempting to utilize a limited power to produce as much as you can typically the idea is to create the most efficient setup you can.

The sub was overpowered.

Not sure if the enclosure is prefab or custom but the dimensions are 34x16x13. Anything bigger than a 12" is pretty much ruled out since the tiburons trunk is small. I want subs that hit as hard as they can with limited power. I listen to mostly hip hop. Would it be a huge problem to use the same enclosure? I'm a college student on a budget. I can't decide to go with the 12" dcons or 12" re srx's.

The sub was overpowered.Not sure if the enclosure is prefab or custom but the dimensions are 34x16x13. Anything bigger than a 12" is pretty much ruled out since the tiburons trunk is small. I want subs that hit as hard as they can with limited power. I listen to mostly hip hop. Would it be a huge problem to use the same enclosure? I'm a college student on a budget. I can't decide to go with the 12" dcons or 12" re srx's.
How did you set up the amp? Gain, boost? I doubt it was overpowered enough to fry the sub

How did you set up the amp? Gain, boost? I doubt it was overpowered enough to fry the sub
The sub went up in smoke so is it not safe to assume I fried it? They were set pretty high. Turned them down and running just one of them now since the other is dead //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The sub went up in smoke so is it not safe to assume I fried it? They were set pretty high. Turned them down and running just one of them now since the other is dead //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Set pretty high as in how high? How did you set the level? Do you know what clipping is?

Odd's are the signal was clipped causing the damage. This is a bit common when someone has little power but wants a lot of output. Since the amp can only do so much..the common thing to do is just keep turning it up to attempt to make it louder. However, this is not the correct way to set your amp.

As for the enclosure, assuming it is ported we would need to know the port area ( h x w) and the length. This way we can help you understand what you actually have back there. More then likely it is a prefab which can "work" of course, but will not be optimal at all and normally causes a loss of output.

Clipped to death. Even the Diamond D1's are underrated enough to have taken that amp. You really need to get a custom box made I'm assuming and get a DMM when you set up your subs next time. It doesn't matter what the speaker is rated to if you're clipping the shit out of it. You can blow a 1000 rms watt sub with a 400 watt amp if you're clipping bad enough.

Set pretty high as in how high? How did you set the level? Do you know what clipping is?
A little more than 3/4 of the way up? There was no clipping sound. The sub just doesn't work and smells god awful. I'm wondering why you ask if it is cliipping or overpowered? I'm getting new subs, if you could assist in shareing what you think in regards to 12s would go nicely with jl 500/1.

A little more than 3/4 of the way up? There was no clipping sound. The sub just doesn't work and smells god awful. I'm wondering why you ask if it is cliipping or overpowered? I'm getting new subs, if you could assist in shareing what you think in regards to 12s would go nicely with jl 500/1.
I'm sure it is smoked but it was not from overpowering. You need to set the gain right before you smoke the new sub.

Odd's are the signal was clipped causing the damage. This is a bit common when someone has little power but wants a lot of output. Since the amp can only do so much..the common thing to do is just keep turning it up to attempt to make it louder. However, this is not the correct way to set your amp.

As for the enclosure, assuming it is ported we would need to know the port area ( h x w) and the length. This way we can help you understand what you actually have back there. More then likely it is a prefab which can "work" of course, but will not be optimal at all and normally causes a loss of output.
The previous owner had it turned up all the way for who knows how long. I turned it down, but could permanent damege have been done that eventually made it go kaputs? I was driving back to school, so a 2 hr drive, and as I pulled into school, the back was filled with smoke (tiburon is a hatchback). Freaked out thinking it was my amp, but amp was not even that hot. The fuse by the battery had blown, so when I put a new one in and watched the system play for about 30 seconds, the bad sub I dont think was producing any sound, but just being moved by the one that was working. Smoke started coming from the port. Unscrewed the bad sub and that's where I'm at now. The port is around 3" wide and 9-10" long I'd say.

I'd go with the Dcon's or the E series Sundowns would be a good choice as well and cheaper. Stay away from RE's newer stuff. I've heard enough to make me think they're not very durable and not even close to being what they once where. Take a look at the classifieds here. Lots of good deals and good sellers. And hit up pro-rabbit for a new enclosure. i'm on my 3rd DC Creations box and I won't go anywhere else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.