Box with polyfill?

titus2423

Hi all. I was reading around on different forums about polyfill, and how it makes your subs "think" theyre in a bigger box. Well, the subs I have are just simple 8'' subs, and the box size reccommendation is no less than .25ft^3 and no more than 1ft^3. Well, considering I have 2 subs...would I want the box to be bigger? And thats where the polyfil comes in, would I want to grab some of that stuff and throw it in? Because my box for 2 subs is .79ft^3. Thanks.

I find it strange that so many people focus on the (apparent) enclosure size effects of fill while ignoring the primary effect that fill has, which is damping.

Generally if you can fit the correct size enclosure you will be better off by up to 3db over a smaller enclosure which uses fill, this is equivalant to half the amplifier power needed to reach the same spl as a filled box.

also worth noting that polyfil can achieve results due to the effect on the speed of air through it..

this is why a stuff TL doesn't have to be nearly as long as an unstuffed one, to acheive the same reference frequency..

Loyd L.

So basically avoid poly if you can?
Yes avoid using it if you want the most output possible. I'm not saying that fill is evil or anything, I use it my self in many different setups, it's just understanding that it isn't as simple "fill=bigger box".

By adding polyfill it "increases" the volume of the box because it is slowing down the soundwaves making it feel like a larger box.

And just go to Wal-mart of whatever and buy a pillow and rip it apart...same stuff as polyfill. Save some money too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.