Breaking In New Subwoofers

Ceebes
10+ year member

~>C&R Customz<~
Georgia
Like I said in another thread, I'm gettin 2 kicker CompVRs. Yes yes, I know all yall think kicker ****. keep it to yourselves. What I'm askin in what is the best way to break in a new driver? Helpful comments welcome. Haterz jus leave.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Like I said in another thread, I'm gettin 2 kicker CompVRs. Yes yes, I know all yall think kicker ****. keep it to yourselves. What I'm askin in what is the best way to break in a new driver? Helpful comments welcome. Haterz jus leave.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I have always heard low volume for first 24 hours, but i go all out right away!

BTW nothing wrong with kicker most people here dont like anything they cant afford making min. wage. or they hate because its a main stream brand. Good luck to you.

Kicker dont **** btw. Just take an easy for the first few days. If you have a Home stereo you can hook it up to that and play music through it overnight. Sometimes it can take months for a sub to fully break in, I doubt the cvr's will take that long though

i'd say do no low tones, either. but usually, the first day or so, just play it quiet, atleast untill everything softens up. But i doubt these subs will need that much breaking in.

All the break-in period is is a period of time it takes the new suspension soft parts to work into their normal compliance. What this means is when the sub is new and not fully broken in, the suspension will be unusually stiff, and cone excursion will be lessened. As time goes on and the soft parts wear into their nominal compliance, cone excursion will increase. So no, no period of 'taking it easy' on your speaker(s) is necessary. The cooling effect lessened by loss of cone excursion will be minimal at best. Just play the subs normally. Once the sub(s) breaks in fully, you *may* want to readjust your gains, if you regularly play your sub to very near maximum excursion.

Subs needing to be babied until the break in is a myth.

Beat the hell outta em...

I've heard the if you beat hard for the first few weeks you could burn up the voice coil. Because you dont have the excursion that the broke in sub has. The coil will try to push it, but cant, so it would over heat... idk maybe I jus heard wrong. Made sense to me tho.

I've heard the if you beat hard for the first few weeks you could burn up the voice coil. Because you dont have the excursion that the broke in sub has. The coil will try to push it, but cant, so it would over heat... idk maybe I jus heard wrong. Made sense to me tho.
Like I already said, the slightly tighter suspension pre-break in will not likely result in enough loss of excursion to reduce cooling to a dangerous level. The 'pushing' force or the resistance to it is not the issue, the issue would be a loss of air flow through the motor, as cone excursion actually pumps cooling air through it. But again, Ive yet to see or hear of a suspension whose compliance changes significantly enough to create a serious situation prior to the sub breaking in fully. If you are worried, just dont turn it up past 80-90% of maximum the first few days. But even that precaution unlikely necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.