Broken pot on amp

Phlox

Hi all , im new here, and ive got a question.

I recentlly got a secondhand 4 ch starsound amp for almost for free, but one pot oi broken off, i was wondering if i could just resolder the wires to the same ones on the other pot? Its the x-over pots and it has got 2 , just one is broken of, basically what i want to know is will the one pot then work both volumes so to speak, i cant really see what stands on the fron panel as its bit worn off,but i presume one is for left channel and one is for right channel? Or maybe one is for 2 of the four channels and the ohther ones is for the other two?

Well any help would be appreciated .

Thanx

I don't think that would be advisable, You can either shoot a company like dB-r Electronics an email or you can look for the value of the POT on it and find a replacement for it and re solder it.

I don't think a new pot would cost more than a few bucks.

I know i should solder on a new one, but the thing is the broken off one doesnt have the resistance values and so on on it neither does the other one have any values, thats why i thought of just soldering the wires to the working pot amd give it a try

I know i should solder on a new one, but the thing is the broken off one doesnt have the resistance values and so on on it neither does the other one have any values, thats why i thought of just soldering the wires to the working pot amd give it a try
Try it out..its not like its a $1k amp..it may also be all that is needed to make it work:eyebrow:

Im gonna try it, what i think is gonna happen is that it should work and ill then have only one pot for both volumes which if fine, i only need one bridged channel anyway, i only have one sub so its fine

if you do that, it will sum both channels to one, and then feed the 2 channels the summed signal. that, is if you are correct about what the pot does. on top of that, the signal will be effected, like running a 2ohm speaker off a 4ohm cross-over. if you are mistaken about what the pot does, then it could be real detremental, and brick the amp. i would just replace the pot. heck, you might even be able to have a tv repair center do it for like $15-30. assume= assoutofu&me. how bad is it broken? just the plastic protrusion, or actually broke off in the casing? what i'm getting at, is perhaps you could just super-glue the broken piece back on the pot.

Heey guys, i found out i was a 20k pot, and had a single pot laying around also 20k , so i soldered that on and just joined the other piece with wires as it was a dual ganged pot, foun a blown resistor on rca input and replaced that aswell and bobs your uncle! It works, except for the sub being to strong for it, keeps on shutting down when playing too loud, protection curcuit maybe? Or my power wire probably to weak to supply enoug current, going to buy better cables this weekend though.

The sub is a 10" pioneer 375w rms and the bridged output power on amp is 120w rms..

Ayways just glad it works, got another amp on the way, the guy says its stronger so we will see, his got lots of amp spares as well which hes gonna give me

Sub can't be too strong for the amp....it won't cause the amp to go into protect. Something else is wrong with the amp. What are the gains at? Sounds like you maxed them. What power wire are you running?

At the moment a 20guage or sumthing,i know its too small for the high amperage draw of the amp, but its for testing purposes only, going to buy an amp cable kit tommorow thats designed for a 1700w amp, then ill let you know again, the gains arent that high, probably round about half, also going to take the amp out and open it again, maybe shot capacitors?

Will test them each ,replace if necessary,might be that they charge up and lose voltage or dont even charge fully .

Another quick question, the sub is 375w rms, the amps total bridged output is only 120w rms on mono,so the sub is too strong? Will draw too much power from amp? Cause at low volumes even with bass full and gain maxed on amp it plays fine, as soon as the volume goes up a. Bit it cuts out.

I know with an old marantz hifi amp i had it will cut out when too much power was drawn through the speakers.

120w rms is probably enough to power it, but not to its full potential , thats how i see it.

Might be wrong though as im still a newb with car Amp installs.

But the principle is still the same even for home theatre or hifi speakers? I mean its an amp and speakers. One just uses 220v and one uses 12v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.