Bullet Tweeters, Necessary?

airspoon

Hello, I'm new to car audio -at least DIY car audio. I had nice setups in previous cars, but they were always installed by a local shop. This is the first time that I installed everything on my own. My car is now finished, or at least my original goal has been met and now I'm looking for things to add to improve overall SQ (call it an addiction?) and a more complete sound stage. I'm more into SQ, rather than SPL. In case it matters, in my 2006 Honda Civic Sedan, my current setup includes:

Pioneer AppRadio 3

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 DSP

Pioneer GM-8604 100w x4 RMS

Pioneer GM-8601 500w x1 RMS

Infinity Kappa 60.9cs components (up front).

Infinity Kappa 62.9i coaxels (in back)

Pioneer Premier TS-W1007D4 10" 4ohm DVC

I have my whole car treated with Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum /Sludge and Luxury Liner Pro (MLV + CSF).

However, I'm now thinking about adding extra speakers and I've been eyeing the Pioneer TS-B400PRO 4" Pro Series bullet tweeter (TS-B400PRO - 4" PRO Series Bullet Tweeter | Pioneer Electronics USA).

My question is whether I'd benefit SQ-wise with a bullet tweeter (I'm not at all familiar with them), or if I'd be better off just adding an extra set of Infinity or Focal dome tweeters on active cross-overs. I'm not an audiophile, but I want audiophile grade sound in my car and my current sound stage, although amazing, isn't cutting it. Any recommendations to improve my sound stage and over-all SQ? My new goal is to get as close as possible to studio-grade sound in my vehicle, like sitting front row at an unplugged concert.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't imagine any good coming from adding pro audio tweets to that setup. And those Infinity's are known for having bright tweeters. I would guess that one of two things are the problem.

1) The tweeter attenuation on the passive crossovers is set at the lowest setting or...

2) the tweeters are in a position that is not desirable. You may need to relocate them.

↑ What he said. I run PA mids for the volume they produce but I will never, ever run a supertweet in a vehicle I have to drive around daily.

One pair of good quality dome tweeters positioned correctly will do all you need done in that setup, imo.

^^ yep, I've never herd any supertweets of any sort unfortunately, I have sold and installed many systems and found one tweeter systems sounded a lot cleaner and tighter.

Hello, I'm new to car audio -at least DIY car audio. I had nice setups in previous cars, but they were always installed by a local shop. This is the first time that I installed everything on my own. My car is now finished, or at least my original goal has been met and now I'm looking for things to add to improve overall SQ (call it an addiction?) and a more complete sound stage. I'm more into SQ, rather than SPL. In case it matters, in my 2006 Honda Civic Sedan, my current setup includes:pioneer AppRadio 3

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 DSP

Pioneer GM-8604 100w x4 RMS

Pioneer GM-8601 500w x1 RMS

Infinity Kappa 60.9cs components (up front).

Infinity Kappa 62.9i coaxels (in back)

Pioneer Premier TS-W1007D4 10" 4ohm DVC

I have my whole car treated with Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum /Sludge and Luxury Liner Pro (MLV + CSF).

However, I'm now thinking about adding extra speakers and I've been eyeing the Pioneer TS-B400PRO 4" Pro Series bullet tweeter (TS-B400PRO - 4" PRO Series Bullet Tweeter | Pioneer Electronics USA).

My question is whether I'd benefit SQ-wise with a bullet tweeter (I'm not at all familiar with them), or if I'd be better off just adding an extra set of Infinity or Focal dome tweeters on active cross-overs. I'm not an audiophile, but I want audiophile grade sound in my car and my current sound stage, although amazing, isn't cutting it. Any recommendations to improve my sound stage and over-all SQ? My new goal is to get as close as possible to studio-grade sound in my vehicle, like sitting front row at an unplugged concert.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
If you by chance do want to use these, I would aim them off axis and have them heavily dampened as these are very efficient speakers. Will still be extremely loud for a car audio application. I do not think you will like these as they will definitely overpower the rest of your system.

↑ What he said. I run PA mids for the volume they produce but I will never, ever run a supertweet in a vehicle I have to drive around daily.
One pair of good quality dome tweeters positioned correctly will do all you need done in that setup, imo.
Stay away from the bargain bin ones and you might be suprised. It's all about the install, get them EQ'ed properly and pro audio tweets can sound VERY good. Lower distortion than standard drivers, just have to get the frequency response correct. I've always had great luck with HLCD's as well, in an install like that the mids become the weak link in your volume and dynamic ability lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.