Can i get opinions on the speakers i've chosen.

Okay everyone, ive been on here for weeks now trying to figure out tons of questions. After some time ive come up with these products and have ordered them earlier today.

2 PIONEER TS-B400PRO 4" HIGH EFFICIENCY PRO SERIES BULLET tweeters. these tweeters play from 3.5 khz to 27kh. 200w nom. each (they are sold separately) so a total of 400 nom. there, and 500w max for each or 1000 total w.

a pair of pioneer TS-M800PRO 8 inch midbass speakers. These mids play from 50 hz up to 18kh. They have a total wattage of 700w and 180 nominal.

a component set for the front: DB DRIVE P3 6K 6.5" Pro Audio Midrange Speakers 250 Watts..cant find any info on their nom values.. are these db drive speakers any good? it was hard to find a shallow mount set of speakers for my front doors.

a pioneer MVH-X560BT digital radio. 3 outputs, aux and usb in the back. i got the iphone usb for it so i can be more integrated stuff with the radio.

a pioneer digital GM-D9605 2000 Watt 5-Channel Class FD Car Amplifier. it plays 75w nominal @4 channels, 4ohms. 150W max x 4 chan, @4ohms

1 pioneer TS-SW3002S4 12 inch sub, 1500w max, 400 nom. got the UD-SW300D down firing box for it.

1 pioneer GM-D8601 mono block to power sub. 300 w nom x 1 chan. @ 4ohms

1 PAIR of interfire 2-WAY PASSIVE CAR AUDIO CROSSOVER. plays 200WATSS RMS/400 WATTS PEAK POWER, FREQUANCY RANGE : 40 HZ-25 KHZ, CROSSOVER POINT: 1 KHZ - 2.5 KHZ.

36 sq. feet of dynamat..might as well wrap the whole car.

1......Im slightly concerned with this crossover. The tweets only play down to 3.5 khz, and the xover has a cross over point of 2.5khz. am i going to have an issue meeting the mids with the tweets because of the cross over point??? They are being used for the 8inch midbass with the super tweeter. Should i consider a different xover?

----I am going to see what it sounds like if i set my mid bass/range to play 60 hz all the way up to the 2.5 hz and have my bass play everything from 60 hz down. (are xover's that adjustable? can i set the amount of low bass to the mids?)

Any suggestions on set up?

i plan on putting the db component set in my front panels, the 8 inch woofer and tweeters are going in a custom built rear dash board, and im dynamatting everything. of course the sub is in the hatch.

2.....Anyone see any major problems or sound performance issues with this set up?

Please advise before i start the project. the goods should arrive before the end of next week.

I'm confused as to why you would want such huge speakers going into a "rear dash"? Unless you mean one that faces out the back when you open the rear hatch, for demos, parties, etc?

If you have that much sound coming from the back to the front, it will cause some serious cancellation and sound like ***... That's why most people don't run rear fill, or not much.

I'm confused as to why you would want such huge speakers going into a "rear dash"? Unless you mean one that faces out the back when you open the rear hatch, for demos, parties, etc?
If you have that much sound coming from the back to the front, it will cause some serious cancellation and sound like ***... That's why most people don't run rear fill, or not much.[/QUO

No im not doing demos, i just wanted good mid bass so i put bbigger speakers where they could fit. Would there be less noise cancellation if i dont put speakers in my doors? I could just put the big mids and tweets in the dash and that would be it? would that be better than both sets of components?

4" bullet tweets? rear dashboard??? yikes... i'm more of a soft dome 1", no rear fill kind of guy myself but to each their own. personally i think you should have done a little more planning before just ordering everything. is this going in a chevy aveo? i'm assuming so based on your name. even in a car that small i'd doubt one bulk pack of dynamat is enough. waaaay back when i had a small car i used 3 bulk packs in an 03 focus an easily could have used more. not trying to crush your spirits it just stinks of poor planning i've definitely learned over the years that poorly planned setups don't sound good.

If you have that much sound coming from the back to the front, it will cause some serious cancellation and sound like ***... That's why most people don't run rear fill, or not much.
Wouldn't more speakers always be better? I was planning a 7 channel system for my jeep, would you reccomend something else?

no in most cases more speakers is not better for example in my SUV i have rear speakers but i keep them turned off unless i have rear passengers because all they do is pull the sound away from the front. start your own thread though to get more indepth about your situation rather than hijacking this one.

4" bullet tweets? rear dashboard??? yikes... i'm more of a soft dome 1", no rear fill kind of guy myself but to each their own. personally i think you should have done a little more planning before just ordering everything. is this going in a chevy aveo? i'm assuming so based on your name. even in a car that small i'd doubt one bulk pack of dynamat is enough. waaaay back when i had a small car i used 3 bulk packs in an 03 focus an easily could have used more. not trying to crush your spirits it just stinks of poor planning i've definitely learned over the years that poorly planned setups don't sound good.
My main focus was to find speakers that had great mid bass around 50 -70hz and also blend nicely with tweeters (hence the pioneer 8's and pioneer 4's). My first part of the whole project was finding spots to install, after realizing how much custom work went into fitting the speakers i wanted into the doors, i decided to go for smaller speakers for the front. Then the idea came to put the big speakers in the rear to maintain the lower mids of 50-70 hz. ( i dont want this frequency coming from my sub because it doesn't sound great @ 50-60 hz with rock and roll) but i am starting to realize that i completely misunderstand the dynamics of sound. The notion of sound cancellation is nothing i considered until this thread.

SOO...what should i do to make this better?

Okay here's an after thought. My last car i had only 1 pair of pioneer 6x9's in the rear. (the car was a geo tracker and had literally no space in the doors for speakers.)

I thought the sound was amazing but the only thing i would have liked more was if the 6x9's produced more bass. With that being said, will i dislike what i hear from this set up? i feel like maybe my taste in sound quality might differ from the "pro's ear"

What if i put the rear component set out of phase? would that stop some of the noise cancellation??

....think i read the article wrong. out of phase speakers are what cause noise cancellation. or so i think i read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I've been really busy at work and haven't had much time to post....

Yes, technically it would help to wire out of phase (on the rear fill), but that is not a real "solution" to the problem.

The sound waves bouncing from the back of the vehicle to the front of the vehicle will have a delay. Its a very slight delay, but enough that it can cause certain frequencies to sound weak, or even cause a hearing "fatigue" that makes the listener have a headache after a while.

A lot of people will run very minimal rear fill and some will even use a digital processor to help blend the rear fill and front stage. (Audison BitOne, Rockford 3sixty3, etc).

Well thanks for the advice. Im going to try with just the 8's in the rear. If i dont like it then i may move them to the front in a speaker pod set up and run a 3 way xover with my db drive speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.