car amp repair man.....

I understand I will only take in a few amps at a time. But Ill start a new thread. If I run into problems repairing amps I can always ask my technician who works for me we always end up figuring stuff out. All the repairs my business dose are top notch.

These amps are generally very easy fixes. Pretty simple oldschool class ab technology. Your amp has a blown power supply and most likely shorted outputs as well whether they look blown or not. The hardest part for me about fixing these old orions is getting the clamp downs for the fets off of the fets themselves without destroying the ones that may still be good. Orion thought it was a great idea to use two sided tape between the fets and the clamp down bars. Even if you are very careful you will usually end up with several fets that have come apart at their seam. Good thing is though that the fets and outputs they use in these amps are very cheap so even worst case scenario if you had to replace all the heatsink mounted parts it would not be terribly expensive other than what somebody may charge you in labor. Several very reputable parts suppliers would be digikey,mouser,arrow,avnet,future electronics, and newark. I usually get the best prices from future,avnet, and arrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, i know this is an old thread, posting anyways and then gonna go look at other threads. I read about 90 percent of these 11 pages a few months back, very interested in learning amplifier repair. Tried repair two blown amps myself, replacing blown transistors, but neither was successfull in making the amp work. Maybe i gotta replace the large capacitors, or something...

I've got a JL 500/1 that may have gone South. At first it would cut out when I turned the volume on my alpine to 19-20 (set the gain per JL instructions with test tone CD), and now I get no sound at all. I checked the sub box and wiring (JL 10w7 in JL box) and check for AC volt at the amp and I have nothing. Amp still turns on, but that is about it. Can it be and is it worth repairing? Who would be my best be to get it fixed?

I wouldn't send amps to nobody on this forum.. Had a Zapco Z300 and Z150 stolen by a so call amp repair person on this forum a few years back.. never again..

ok...I am waiting for some amps to come in from a deal I got on Ebay where I buy up broken amps...Which by the way Im allways lookin for....

When they get here I'll look through them and see if any of them are good for a highly modified type build...Updating everything possible for reliability sound quality and performance..And once I decide which one to build..I'll post what I'm doing with pics step by step...

It wont be a fast process because I have to put my customers ahead of it..but everyone will be able to see whats going on step by step and see the results when its done...

If you have a amp you would like repaired..send me ur contact info along with the make and model number of the amp were gonna be talking about to:

amprepairman@caraudio.com

Ill get ahold of you and we'll take it from there
Check it Orion Amplifier Lot | eBay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.