Changing it up - Suggestions for a set of 6.5" component 2-ways

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cliff459

So, I have a set of PHD FB 6.1 PRO in the front doors of a Toyota Tacoma (standard cab), driven by an older JL 300/2 amp. Head unit is a Pioneer DEH-PRS80. I LOVE the PHD fiberglass 6.5" mid-woofer, it performs excellent on hard rock drums and guitar (my main program material), but the tweeter set kind of loses it when you start to drive it hard on the kind of music I normally listen to on my daily drive. I did not get the FB 6.1 PRO tweeter, I got the PHD AF 1.1TW set instead (at the suggestion of the extremely helpful and nice Mike Allen!), and on dance music or anything like that it is a truly stunning setup. So, here's some new speakers I have been looking at, budget is $500 or less:

CDT Audio ES-62AS.2 (on sale now, but still top range of budget!)

Image Dynamics XS-65

Hertz HSK-165.4

Morel Tempo Ultra 602

RE Audio XXX-6.5C

I have not heard any of these above, so I was hoping anyone here could share their personal experience with any of the above. Also, anything you really like in the price range but is not listed is very welcome, too. I'm not a huge car stereo guy, most of my audio experience is in the recording studio (place I work has a set of Genelec 1038B mains, pretty good set of speakers), so my ears are fairly discerning, I guess. Thanks for any opinions!

There's not a problem with your tweeters. Highs are dominated by reflections. Control them and you control the tweeter. Take that $500 and find a place that can optimize your install. If not you will just be wasting money.

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't really push the replacement of the tweeters too far in my mind, looks like I'll explore my options there.

Hey trumpet, from the looks of what it costs to buy the CDT ES-1200is tweeters and a CDT crossover to match, I could just get the full CDT ES-62AS.2 "15th Anniversary" deal from their website and just put the ES-6AS woofers that come with it on the shelf. This set included a pair of ES-1200is tweeters, a set of WS-100i Image Tweeters and the set of EX-560CD crossovers. That set seems like a great deal for the $499.00 they have on their website: CDT Audio ES-62AS

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't really push the replacement of the tweeters too far in my mind, looks like I'll explore my options there.
Hey trumpet, from the looks of what it costs to buy the CDT ES-1200is tweeters and a CDT crossover to match, I could just get the full CDT ES-62AS.2 "15th Anniversary" deal from their website and just put the ES-6AS woofers that come with it on the shelf. This set included a pair of ES-1200is tweeters, a set of WS-100i Image Tweeters and the set of EX-560CD crossovers. That set seems like a great deal for the $499.00 they have on their website: CDT Audio ES-62AS
Yes sir, you are correct. The anniversary system is the best deal I've seen from CDT ever. If you're ready to buy tonight please use this web site: RubyServ CDT Web Shop Home Page

You can text or call my business line at 701-620-1124

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.