Clip light on DB AAB 2900.1D

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nikolai Cvetkov

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys , its my first thread here.
Im trying to deal with clip light ...
Im using HU Pioneer MVH S520BT with stage 2 RCA (4connect 5.5ft) and Deaf Bonce AAB 2900.1D amplifier ... Currently my sub is old school but in perfect condition Boschmann JX type 12' D2 wired @4ohm now. I noticed my clipping point on HU is at 51 of max 62 so i tuned to 50 ... Noticed at 50 I have 8.13v on rca (amp work rage is 0.2 - 8v ) so i turned the rca output from options to -5 and so i got 7.2v on the other end of the rca ... But the amp have 1 rca in and 1 rca out (not sure why it have out signal) but I dont have Y splitter to convert the both ends of the rca into 1 and not sure if its problem currently i use only the right rca (red one) not sure if this cause problems since the amp is mono and it works same with both ends . Okay so .. when i try to tune only from amp setting the HPF to 28hz (to reduce little the excursion) and LPF lowest point is 80hz with 0 bass boost and bass boost freq set to lowest 35hz ... It sounds best and the woofer act good without flapping ... But when the freqs rise to 37/39 hz and up clip light comes ... When i push test tone of 27hz i can rise the volume to max (50) and even more without any clip light ... My amp can produce 2900 @1 ohm and 1100 @ 4ohm ... The woofer rms power is 1000W and max 2000W ... Gain set to 31.62v~ measured on speakers output and I use 2 batteries 100Ah and 120A stock alt i have no dimming lights or rpm drops .. i only drop sometimes to 13.8v when music is turned off and the batteries are charged at max ... I also use 25mm2 welding wire (ofc) and ground 1ft long holded very well under back seats to m12 bolt of belts holder ... So i dont think the clip comes from power loss or ground .. as I said clip comes on higher frequencies 37+ hz ... If I turn the HPF up (like to 40-50hz ) it starts rattle without producing any good sound and also the excursion is almoast invisible for eye ... So i dont think power is my issue if it was i would experience the clipping in lower frequencies where they require more power , correct? Also my LPF on amp is 80hz I use LPF on HU set to 31,5 hz at 12db/oct , not sure if its good to use second filter but it my case atleast I can boost the volume to 50 but it cut out (reduce frequencies above 50hz so much) that those freqs above 50hz are so hard to be heared ... Any idea what to do , the clip light pop on punchy bass (45-60hz) and disappear immediately but i dont want to break the sub because its a gift from friend. Seems something boost too much the freqs above 30hz too much if I dont use second LPF?

Attachments

• received_768699815.mp4
    17.2 MB
Boosting boosted frequencies should easily put you in clipping territory. Have you tried without the boost in the radio?
All gains , boosts and etc are turned off even the boost on amplifier is turned off
. I only use HPF at 160 hz 24db/oct for front and rear speakers and LPF for the sub to reduce little the frequencies above 30/40/50 hz cuz its sound bad and the whole car is cracking ... By using only amp potentiometers with really low hpf like 25/20 hz it sound amazing and deep but when in the song comes frequency like 40/50+ it sounds really loud with clip light recently i used Hifonics Zeus 12 but it was only 450w rms .. but still got the same issue with higher frequencies

Last edited:
By using only amp potentiometers with really low hpf like 25/20 hz it sound amazing and deep but when in the song comes frequency like 40/50+ it sounds really loud
It may be the sub box is tuned high. Is it a custom specified for the sub or off the shelf? When you tried the Hifonics sub, was it in that same box?

Last edited:
It may be the sub box is tuned high. Is it a custom specified for the sub or off the shelf? When you tried the Hifonics sub, was it in that same box?
Actually yes ... The box recently was designed for ground zero gzrw 30xspl (12inch 1500w) it said to be for 31hz tune but the woofer was trashy and the cone left the chat ... Back then i put the hifonics realising it wont be great but it had even lower FS compared to the zero and almost same L required for box and i tested it out and it was perfect I even turned the HPF lower for deeper bass and the woofer was kinda windy in the car i never measured the SPL it produced ... Lately i got this woofer and put it in this box i noticed it was not able to go lower than 23hz on -3db test tone so I flipped it and flapping was gone I still think the L port is small for this woofer .. but wont it cause problems on low hz not on high ones?
Sorry for my bad English

Lately i got this woofer and put it in this box i noticed it was not able to go lower than 23hz on -3db test tone so I flipped it and flapping was gone I still think the L port is small for this woofer .. but wont it cause problems on low hz not on high ones?
Sorry for my bad English
I am not well versed in box design, so I do not know outcomes based on over/under sizing. The one thing I do know is that too big of a port will likely cause overexcursion with poor bass output. Same goes wiith an oversized box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...