Debating on single 8" sub.

skameron831
10+ year member

Hey guys, I am looking into putting a solid single 8" sub into a 2010 Honda Accord trunk. The reason I am going with an 8" is because I read the response and SQ is very accurate, and SQ is most important with SPL being a nice bonus. I might consider a 10" though, if any thinks it is plausible to increase SPL and keep SQ.

I was considering the new Sundown SA 8v2, JL 8w7, and I have read about some Atomic 8" but I am not too familiar with those.

If I was going to consider a 10" it would probably be from Sundown's SA line, but I am looking for like SQ/SPL = 60/40.

What do you guys think?

A 12, or even a 15 can achieve the same level of SQ as any 8, given the box is fit for the situation. To keep your budget low, I'd look into a SKAR VVX-8, 10, or 12. Sundown's SA and E lines also give very good results for the price.

The SQ issue is entirely subwoofer model/brand dependent. I wouldn't avoid 10 or 12 inch subwoofers because of supposed SQ issues. In fact, if your power is limited, wouldn't a larger sub be better? More cone area => higher output on the same power, other things being equal. I have been happy with some 12 inch subwoofers running on just 300watts. Some argue that 8 inch subs have a snappier transient response. Even if this is true, what good it is if an 8 inch sub will run out of its xmax excursion long before a 10 inch sub will? If you want something cheap and good, consider Infinity Kappa 120.9w. If you can pay more, look into Image Dynamics IDQv3 or Arc Arc12 (IDQv2 derivative). Both will work in a 1cu ft sealed box. If you want an 8 inch sub, check out the >30 pages long Alpine SWR-8XX thread on DIYMA forums. The 8 inch Type-R is considered a benchmark SQ sub over there right now. If running these, I'd consider two instead of one though.

If you can actually run 1000watts RMS, I don't see any need for "low wattage subs". 100watts to each side is sufficient for most component speakers. Rear speakers need even less. Even with a center channel speaker, I don't see how you couldn't easily run 300-600watts to the sub-stage. That's plenty.

The SQ issue is entirely subwoofer model/brand dependent. I wouldn't avoid 10 or 12 inch subwoofers because of supposed SQ issues. In fact, if your power is limited, wouldn't a larger sub be better? More cone area => higher output on the same power, other things being equal. I have been happy with some 12 inch subwoofers running on just 300watts. Some argue that 8 inch subs have a snappier transient response. Even if this is true, what good it is if an 8 inch sub will run out of its xmax excursion long before a 10 inch sub will? If you want something cheap and good, consider Infinity Kappa 120.9w. If you can pay more, look into Image Dynamics IDQv3 or Arc Arc12 (IDQv2 derivative). Both will work in a 1cu ft sealed box. If you want an 8 inch sub, check out the >30 pages long Alpine SWR-8XX thread on DIYMA forums. The 8 inch Type-R is considered a benchmark SQ sub over there right now. If running these, I'd consider two instead of one though.
If you can actually run 1000watts RMS, I don't see any need for "low wattage subs". 100watts to each side is sufficient for most component speakers. Rear speakers need even less. Even with a center channel speaker, I don't see how you couldn't easily run 300-600watts to the sub-stage. That's plenty.
Yes, that is my plan. Run 500-600W on a sub and not even a full 400 on 4 channel amp. I'm not as concerned with money as I am with watts, I just want to keep wattage down to keep electrical dilemmas to a minimum without extra upgrade. Although, I will consider big 3 and battery. But, after a lot of thinking last night I will definitely go with a 10 or 12.. Not sure yet.

I will say, the Sound Splinter and Sundown 8"s are intriguing, though.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

That new Cadence sub sounds pretty nice, also check out the DD 2508, that thing is supposed to be a beast. A little pricey though, check out the classifieds.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.