dumb question about headers/exhaust

That is actually opposite of how is usually happens. Long tube headers tend to give you much better long end grunt while shorties are just more convenient on newer vehicles because of the restricted engine bay space. You sacrifice a bit of performance with shorties but will be much easier to install.
not on a 5.7L, could be all dependent to tubing and cross-sections, h-pipe, mufflers etc... To many variables, and from just swapping to shortys and 2.5" pipe, y-pipe, on the same muffler I gained about 8% ftlb torque. And shaved a little of my 1/4 ET runs. Granted it was only ran on the Dynojet.

so it'll go something like this:
longtube headers--->to dual in/single out muffler---> dumped

Do I need anything to convert the headers to run into 1 muffler? Or will they connect right up? Sorry for all the dumb questions, im an exhaust newb
should work.. look into some flowmaster super 40's. They have the deep tone thats quite suttle at idle.

this is another dumb question, when the headers run into the muffler, do the headers run along the same side of the truck?
what do you mean? you will most likely have to get some new motor mounts since you will more than likely have to move your engine from side to side to get them in. from there, you can tow it to a muffler shop and have them bend and weld you up some pipe and dump it after the axle.

Each header will be on its own side and the tubing will then need to be bent into place. Make sure you get good gaskets and header bolts.

I havent seen a truck lately but on the 4th gen f bodies after the collector, the exhaust routes the same as stock. Noise will depend on things like cats, resonators and mufflers. All and all with a cat in place and a quality muffler you can have a great growl without being annoying.

you'll need a y-pipe to be made. im sure they sell kits. The best thing to do is intake exhaust and have a ls1 shop tune it. Your motor is almost the same concept as mine. and ive been working on them for years.

not on a 5.7L, could be all dependent to tubing and cross-sections, h-pipe, mufflers etc... To many variables, and from just swapping to shortys and 2.5" pipe, y-pipe, on the same muffler I gained about 8% ftlb torque. And shaved a little of my 1/4 ET runs. Granted it was only ran on the Dynojet.
shorties gained more HP and helped your ET. Long tubes will increase torque down low compared to a shorty and will make the motor more efficient for everyday driving.

Also going with too big of a tube size (headers and exhaust/muffler) can kill bottom end torque, but gain HP on the top end. I'd look to increase torque for a stock style daily driver...

I would look into a performance tune for your 5.3, it will make a HUGE difference on a stock truck. I would go with a Westers or Nelson tune, they are very popular on fullsizechevy, there may be a few other options for mail-in tunes as well. I havent been on that site in awhile, since I own a ford lol

im not sure if anyones mentioned this but when you free up an exhaust system on anything, you need to open up the intake also.. whats a nice open exhaust system gonna help when the intake is still restrictive?? i always do intake first then exhaust.. ok done lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.