Eclipse subwoofers bottoming out

There's really no reason for a noise that's happening at 1" of excursion to happen just because oif the box. You're not stressing the sub mechanically, and it seems like you have plenty of power available to push the subs pretty hard...you're just not able to for some reason, so in my opinion there is something mechanically wrong with the speakers. Or maybe you have them wired to 8ohms and are pushing the amp really hard to get some power to the subs? That could be why you're not getting much excursion before they start sounding like arse.
But those subs are capable of about 3" of mechanical stroke before they start to want to destroy themselves...judging by your vid you're not near that, and it actually sounds like a misaligned coil scratching the motor.
Well if it is the coil misaligned i'm not too sure it will be cost effective to fix them. I only know one person down here who works on subs and he charges about $125 a sub, so ill be out $250 just trying to fix my subs. it might just be time to find new 12's. Is there anything i can do to try and fix the problem or will i have to completely strip down the sub and have it rebuilt from scratch in order for the problem to be fixed?

Well if it is the coil misaligned i'm not too sure it will be cost effective to fix them. I only know one person down here who works on subs and he charges about $125 a sub, so ill be out $250 just trying to fix my subs. it might just be time to find new 12's. Is there anything i can do to try and fix the problem or will i have to completely strip down the sub and have it rebuilt from scratch in order for the problem to be fixed?
Ill rebuild for 65.00 a peice man i know its the voice coil rubin or theres something down inside only way it scratches i just fixed a jl10w6 for a customer here in town

I told you to send them to me.

OP you don't know what your problem is yet. I would suggest taking a systematic approch to trouble shooting it. I would isolate the subs, playing each one seprately to verify if it is both, one or not a sub problem at all. I would also check and see possibly if you have a amp issue (slim chance, but possible) try the subs on a different amp...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.