gain settings

Participant count
  • Participant list

cb4goals
10+ year member

AL
i recently purchased a fi ssd 12 and installed it today. i have a rf 700s 2 channel amp rated for 175 rms @ 4 ohms or 350 @ 2 ohms. i have the amp bridged going into the sub. my question is how should i adjust the gain settings? the only way to adjust them is two small screws near the output of the amp. should i just adjust it till it sounds right? and how do i do that when there are two seperate places to adjust the gain for one speaker?

I posted this under another thread but here it is again:

1. Turn off all EQ settings on the deck (Flat, no crossovers on)

2. Turn the volume on the deck up to 3/4 volume.

3. Get a good quality CD or song off your iPod and play

4. Adjust gain slowly until you start hearing distortion (you should be able to tell with it at 3/4 volume)

5. Once distortion is reached, turn down slightly until it goes away. (Slowly turn each side of the gain when you are bridging.)

Another way to tune is to use a DMM and using the same steps listed above (except you should be playing a 60 Hz tone) but actually disconnect the sub from the amp and measure the voltage on the output using the Volts AC setting. Example: If your sub is 4 ohms and needs 175 RMS then you would adjust the gain until the voltage hit 26.4 Volts AC

Also type of deck, type of sub, and type of vehicle would help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.