Good Comp Set for $500

Mdude186

I'm trying to find a really nice set of comps for around $500 (no more though) So far I am considering : Hertz HSK 165 (Not the XL), Image Dynamics XS65's, or PSS-010 PRO - CDT Audio 6.5. I couldn't really find any info on the CDT's maybe i'm searching the wrong model # Other suggestions are welcome of course. I would prefer to use the passives that come with any of these sets as I do not have the experience or proper equipment for it at the moment. I listen to a lot of everything but in particular I was looking for a non-harsh/bright tweeter than can deliver the guitar riffs and cybols in a non-offensive way.

Thank you for any suggestions advice you may provide!

Also, as a side note the dealers i have around where i live are severely limited and the only set of these speakers I will be able to listen to are the Hertz.

you could also check out Rainbow, Morel, or maybe even a used set of Dynaudio?

I recently saw a set of Focal KRX2 6.5" used for the neighborhood of $500, those are amazing speakers.

gah I could never imagine spending that much on one set of comps, having heard a pair of focal comps and Boston acoustic comps side by side I will for ever lean towards BA's. I cant direct you toward a certain model but I would certainly look into what they have to offer

trust me when i say a good set of components will never be as nice as great set of components but you may wanna leave some cash for some mat for the doors ,it will help

trust me when i say a good set of components will never be as nice as great set of components but you may wanna leave some cash for some mat for the doors ,it will help
^^^ this... speakers only sound as good as the invoroment they're in

Hmmm, well i've heard that focals are very bright so i swayed away from them, was looking at the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 model. I'll be deadening/sealing the doors in the coming weeks, there was a separate budget for that. And referring to the HAT suggestion, i was also looking at the HAT Clarus models. Although my install options are slightly limited as i need to keep a stealth look. So the mids will be going into the doors and the tweeters will either go in the dash (Factory location) possibly tilted at a 45 degree angle and cross firing or in kick panels. The car is a 2003 Camry. Sorry i didn't provide these details previously. As for the speakers suggested would you mind describing what they would sound like in the installation placements i described?

Hmmm, well i've heard that focals are very bright so i swayed away from them, was looking at the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 model. I'll be deadening/sealing the doors in the coming weeks, there was a separate budget for that. And referring to the HAT suggestion, i was also looking at the HAT Clarus models. Although my install options are slightly limited as i need to keep a stealth look. So the mids will be going into the doors and the tweeters will either go in the dash (Factory location) possibly tilted at a 45 degree angle and cross firing or in kick panels. The car is a 2003 Camry. Sorry i didn't provide these details previously. As for the speakers suggested would you mind describing what they would sound like in the installation placements i described?
brightness can be compensated for so that is never a worry and the guy talking about the used Focal KRX2 6.5" you might want to get in contact with to find out where he saw them because they are pure *** components.

"bright" tweeters are usually suffering from poor installation - diffraction and reflections can result in phase interference we consider "harsh". that's why i love tweeter spheres!

Hybrid Audio - Clarus are in your price range.

I can't remember reading a review on any speaker that SOMEONE didn't think the tweeter was bright. I've really come to ignore that when ppl review speakers since , as mentioned, that can be fixed. So I wouldn't let that sway u.

Well, i'm trying to narrow it down. I originally had my heart set on ID XS65's but whats happening with that company atm makes me hesitate. The deadening and sealing isnt a problem ill be putting one layer on the outter and inner door for each door. so out of these speakers:

hybrid audio clarus

Image Dynamics XS65

Focal Pollyglass 165 v30

which would you choose and why? assuming you must keep a stealth look by installing the mid in the door and the tweeter in either the kick or the dash angled and cross firing. Also, that the passives that come with the speakers will be used. and also if the price differences between the speakers are truly woth it (ex. ID is 100 less than HAT)

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions thus far, they are very helpful. I dont mean to ignore any posts, i've read them all, im just trying to focus the topic of disscussion. (also if things are misspelled or bad punctuation i typed this on my phone, sorry in advance)

I'd go HAT...Focal....ID....of those. I doubt I'd ever run those Focals or IDs though.

Boston acoustics would be my first choice in the range then the Hybrid. Also morel and dynaudio and rainbow.

Well, I started looking into the SPZ set and they have certainly generated a lot nice words/reviews. Do you think the tweeters would perform well angled in the dash? Also, do you think powering them with an alpine PDX f4 bridged would be sufficient?

One more thing as well, I've read users complaining about the speakers making certain recordings sound jumbled. One poster over at DIYMA said "I will say there is a fault to this set, and could be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I have found so far that crappy recordings (or media formats period) sound extra crappy! I know....its kind of a Duh! statement but be warned! If you listen to crap...your gonna be really pissed if you get these. I found that shady recordings; underground, certain techno, punk, death metal, etc... tend to be a giant jumble of "stuff" via there particular chosen recording processes."

Do you believe he is speaking just about bad quality MP3's? Or about just those music genres in general? (I listen to most of those). My music is normally played through my iPod which is all in Apple Lossless.

Original thread that i quoted: Boston Acoustics SPZ60......YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.