Good Comp Set for $500

Well, I started looking into the SPZ set and they have certainly generated a lot nice words/reviews. Do you think the tweeters would perform well angled in the dash? Also, do you think powering them with an alpine PDX f4 bridged would be sufficient?
One more thing as well, I've read users complaining about the speakers making certain recordings sound jumbled. One poster over at DIYMA said "I will say there is a fault to this set, and could be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I have found so far that crappy recordings (or media formats period) sound extra crappy! I know....its kind of a Duh! statement but be warned! If you listen to crap...your gonna be really pissed if you get these. I found that shady recordings; underground, certain techno, punk, death metal, etc... tend to be a giant jumble of "stuff" via there particular chosen recording processes."

Do you believe he is speaking just about bad quality MP3's? Or about just those music genres in general? (I listen to most of those). My music is normally played through my iPod which is all in Apple Lossless.

Original thread that i quoted: Boston Acoustics SPZ60......YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality
He's referring to crappy recordings. Detailed tweeters will tell u when your recording is bad. My current tweeters tell me very quickly. I look at it as personal preference. You can get a less detailed tweet that's more forgiving for bad recordings or a detailed tweet that will make crappy recordings sound like just that. If your music is lossless, I'd go for the more detailed tweet.

As for the power, I think they'll be fine but iirc, they are 3 ohms so idk if your alpine amp is stable down to 3 ohms when bridged...so that's up to u on that one. I honestly think the 100wrms that amp does should be fine for them with a good install.

And to comment on the tweeters, I couldn't tell u to be honest how they'd perform in that location. Too many variables to consider. But a lot of ppl run stock locations and are fine with it...those SPZs are also able to run in coaxial mode too so that helps in maintaining a stock look.

you need to realize sq guys are mostly snobs and cocky ********, Case in point, If you listen to shity recorded music it will sound like garbage. That goes further then just a poorly compressed mp3. Ton of new music sounds like **** straight from the CD. To be honest all mp3's are garbage.

I would go with HAT unity, some deadener, some closed cell foam, and some mass loaded vinyl.

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

Unity U61-2 6.5" 2-way Component Speaker System - 12v Electronics

you need to realize sq guys are mostly snobs and cocky ********, Case in point, If you listen to shity recorded music it will sound like garbage. That goes further then just a poorly compressed mp3. Ton of new music sounds like **** straight from the CD. To be honest all mp3's are garbage. I would go with HAT unity, some deadener, some closed cell foam, and some mass loaded vinyl.

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

Unity U61-2 6.5" 2-way Component Speaker System - 12v Electronics
Great idea here too. Those are some nice comps that are a good bit cheaper than the SPZ and have won SQ comps. Then be sure to get all of those things he mentioned to properly seal those doors and everything. It'll make night and day difference in your investment.

Well, I started looking into the SPZ set and they have certainly generated a lot nice words/reviews. Do you think the tweeters would perform well angled in the dash? Also, do you think powering them with an alpine PDX f4 bridged would be sufficient?
One more thing as well, I've read users complaining about the speakers making certain recordings sound jumbled. One poster over at DIYMA said "I will say there is a fault to this set, and could be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I have found so far that crappy recordings (or media formats period) sound extra crappy! I know....its kind of a Duh! statement but be warned! If you listen to crap...your gonna be really pissed if you get these. I found that shady recordings; underground, certain techno, punk, death metal, etc... tend to be a giant jumble of "stuff" via there particular chosen recording processes."

Do you believe he is speaking just about bad quality MP3's? Or about just those music genres in general? (I listen to most of those). My music is normally played through my iPod which is all in Apple Lossless.

Original thread that i quoted: Boston Acoustics SPZ60......YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality
Good speakers are generally very revealing. They will show any fault in the recording. Low bit rate MP3's, bad recordings, etc. will sound exceptionally bad on a good set of speakers.

I appreciate your input Wenn, but I think i'm going to stick with the Bostons. For the simple fact that they are more easily obtainable and i might even be able to audition them (If i'm willing to drive a far distance) Don't know if my schedule will allow it but i will certainly try to! I was also wondering if there is a big enough difference in the pro60se vs spz to garner the price? I know the pro se uses the same tweeter as the spz so it all boils down to midrange and midbass.

On a side note, i'm really not a hard person to please, as long as its clear, doesn't hurt my ears/little to no listening fatigue and can get loud for those certain days/situations (You know the ones), then i will be happy as a clam smiling ear to ear. I definitely know what you mean about the SQ guys btw >.> (No offense to anyone here) just certain people can rub you the wrong way when talking about car audio.

I appreciate your input Wenn, but I think i'm going to stick with the Bostons. For the simple fact that they are more easily obtainable and i might even be able to audition them (If i'm willing to drive a far distance) Don't know if my schedule will allow it but i will certainly try to! I was also wondering if there is a big enough difference in the pro60se vs spz to garner the price? I know the pro se uses the same tweeter as the spz so it all boils down to midrange and midbass.
On a side note, i'm really not a hard person to please, as long as its clear, doesn't hurt my ears/little to no listening fatigue and can get loud for those certain days/situations (You know the ones), then i will be happy as a clam smiling ear to ear. I definitely know what you mean about the SQ guys btw >.> (No offense to anyone here) just certain people can rub you the wrong way when talking about car audio.
If that's the case, id just go with the Pros. They get good reviews too. A friend of mine auditioned both sets and said he didn't find the price difference justifiable unless u want that slight extra amount of midbass from the spz.

The pros will save u some cash for deadening materials as well.

Hey! I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the help and advice they've given me. I feel confident I will be pleased with my purchase, also for future reference the alpine pdx f4 amp will work just fine at 3 ohms.

And out of pure curiosity I was wondering why you like the Bostons so much? (Specific qualities about them)

Hey! I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the help and advice they've given me. I feel confident I will be pleased with my purchase, also for future reference the alpine pdx f4 amp will work just fine at 3 ohms.
And out of pure curiosity I was wondering why you like the Bostons so much? (Specific qualities about them)
Put simply, it's bang for the buck and great customer service. I've never been disappointed by any BA product and they're relatively inexpensive IMO. Also a lot of ppl talk about they want stuff made in the US and iirc BA does just that. Also some of their GT Amps shared an italian design with high end amps yet they still didnt cost an arm and a leg. Their stuff is pretty hard to beat for the prices from speakers to amps to subs.

Well, after searching for some time i finally found a shop that has the speakers available for audition! I'll be going on Monday morning and then deadening my doors Monday afternoon. I'll post back with my thoughts on the speakers. My only worry is that the shop will try to sway me towards MTX because after looking around their site it seems they install that much more than Boston stuff. Any listening suggestions? or songs you think would be good so i can hear the speakers more fully?

After having heard HAT Imagine running active, I would definitely consider buying HAT Clarus. The online price is just over $500.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.