Head Unit Going into PROTECT eeek

Participant count
  • Participant list

macq32
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
For the last few weeks my head unit has been going into protect at lower volumes after 20 minutes of play, sometimes more sometimes less. My initial thought was that my battery has crapped out on me, and it was time for a deep cell battery (yellow top/powermaster/kinetik). However I checked the running voltage and I still over 14v. My system is outlined in my signature.

I have owned the Kenwood eXcelon kdc 791x for 2 years now and it hasnt given me any problems of any sort until recently. I had set it up so 25 was my max volume and safe for all amps. Since the HU has been going into protect I let 21 be my max, and now I'm down to 18.

The unit seems to be less capable of the power it can handle. I'm doubtful that there is something wrong with the ground, since it had never gone into protect for most of 2 years and nothing has changed as far as the head unit is concerned.

I'm thinking it may just be my headunit. But if there are some other ways to diagnose the problem I would like to do that before I go buy a new unit and find myself with the same issue.

Any advice/suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks guys

If You have the HU grounded to the factory harness Ground . I would first reground your HU ground to something else. Try that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.