Help: 2018 Impala speaker recommendations

Johnnyxray210

CarAudio.com Newbie
My son has a 2018 Chevy Impala with a factory stereo. He is on a budget but he would like to get his front speakers replaced. I know enough to not make the wrong decision and have been told everything under the sun. I know the best way is to install an amp and match the speakers and be done with it but that is just not financially doable right now. I would like to change the front door speakers to include some mid to high range. I understand we should stay somewhere within the same RMS range. Size is flexible either 6x9 or 6 1/2 or whatever will fit. I think I understand the physics of how a speaker distributes power, power efficiency and how it affects the quality of sound. I know we should push with an amp to get the best sound quality, I understand that, I own a lot of audio equipment and always try to opt for the best quality I can afford. My question is a big IF I could swap out the front speakers, would that be possible?

Factory radio
Front door speaker: 2 ohm, 40 watt (RMS) woofer (not a sub but just a mid/low range woofer),
Speaker size: 6x9

My question is can I put in a pair of 4 ohm or 3 ohm speakers within the same RMS power rating replacing the 2 ohm woofer?

If so any recommendations on RMS max wattage and impedence? I believe that if I go too high, say 93% with 2 ohm power to the speaker this may cause some distortion but I am not sure.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks

My understanding is running 2 ohm 3 ohm 4 ohm is fine. The only penalty is as resistance goes up, power output goes down.
Putting 4 ohm speakers will decrease your stock amp's wattage.
4 ohm interior speakers seem like the norm but you can grab 2 ohm sets.

Is the plan to eventually get an amplifier?

Infinity Kappa's 62ix sound great and are fairly cheap.

Screenshot_20220515-145008_Chrome.jpg

My understanding is running 2 ohm 3 ohm 4 ohm is fine. The only penalty is as resistance goes up, power output goes down.
Putting 4 ohm speakers will decrease your stock amp's wattage.
4 ohm interior speakers seem like the norm but you can grab 2 ohm sets.

Is the plan to eventually get an amplifier?

Thanks for the response. Yes it is, no more than 75 watts I would say, probaby a Christmas time thing. What would that lean me towards, higher RMS or different ohms?

Last edited:
Stick with 2 Ohms. If you do not plan on amping within a year, use 80w RMS and lower. The last time I did a Chevrolet car, it had those goofy 6x9s with built in walls of Jericho. I cut out speaker and reused the walls to mount the new 6x9s. Worked great. Stick to 6x9s, better bass output.

Thanks for the respnse. What do you mean cut out speaker? My sons just had 2 screws holding them in. I was pleased to see 6x9s personally but will after markets fit?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...