Help picking an Amp

Benji3788
10+ year member

Hey, I'm Benji and new to the forum. I've kind of just hawked around on here to try and gain some more knowledge.

Background \/ Below \/

- I bought a SonicElectronix subwoofer combo with 2 DVC Rockford Fosgate R2D2. Only problem is the Jensen Power 900.1 amp would not power the subs without being maxed out with gain (I know that's bad). I made sure it was just the amp and not my wiring by testing my friend's old JL amp, and it confirmed the Jensen amp was ****.

- Went to pawn shop and got rid of Jensen and picked up a Alpine mrp-m500, and it worked great to start, and the gain was about at halfway. Fast forward a week and the subs have been cutting out and then will come back on and be fine, but this week they cut out altogether. Weird part is the amp light stays on. Subs don't sound blown when they come on and off, so I figure it's the amp. I just got a Pioneer HU 7400HD and i'm rewiring everything.

Which amp should I buy and should I stay away from any of these brands. Subs are 500 watt RMS combined

$200 Budget-

- Jl JX500.1d

-Alpine MRX-M50

-Kenwood x500

- NVX JAD1200.1

-Precision Power PPI S850.1D

- RE Audio DTS-1000.1

-Infinity 1600A

-Precision-Power-BK650.1D

-Massive-Audio-D-1200

Running off Stock Alt, as of now I have no light dimming.

He needs 500 at 1 ohm or 4 ohms. He has 2, single voice coil subs, @ 2 ohms each.
actually the R2D2 is a 2x 2ohm DVC sub...which is why I verified in my first post if he was looking for 500 @ 2ohms

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Yeah it's 2 DVC 2ohm subs, and they are wired together to 2 ohms. So, I need 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.

-I've read good things about the Infinity amp too, but I live in Houston,Tx and it gets really hot here, and I've read there have been overheating issues with the Infinity.

-Are any of those subs I listed good choices? I haven't read good things about the MB Quart amp, as far as I know from reading every amp I listed is of better quality than those.

-I've kinda figured the better quality amps when compared to an amp of lower quality but same price are closer to power ratings that I need, and the lower quality amps have more outrageous claims of power.

-I don't need anything more than 500 watts at 2 ohms, because I honestly never plan to have a sub that needs more than that. After this setup I plan to just downgrade to a couple 10's or get a nicer higher quality 12. Just, need something that will run efficient and actually give me the stated power unlike the ****** Jensen amp that didn't deliver what it stated.

I would recommend upgrading your Alt. to Battery wire and Batt. to ground wire. At least 4/0 ga for what you have. Unless you do decide to run more power down the road, then you might go bigger. This would ensure a good ground to your amp and good charging of the car battery...it is a cheap, simple and very effective upgrade...especially since you are intending to run a full 500+ watt amp...you will probably end up running 5-600 watts with a good quality amp. The good ones will give you a little more than what you pay for, which is always a good thing, since most speakers in general are rated to handle that little bit extra.

Did you get any feedback on the Stetsom Venom 500.1? It specs to be the best deal for good power at your price point...Stetsom is known to be verry conservative.

One thing about trying to buy a good 500+ @ 2ohms for $200, is you don't want to pay more for Big Brand Marketing than you have to, if you buy new w/warranty.

-That's a good idea I assume you're talking about the big 3, and I do eventually plan on doing that. It should make things more solid and efficient. Besides that, I am running 4 gauge wire ground and power to the amp.

- In regards to Stetsom I did a little forum searching on google and found some good things regarding their competition series grade amps, but nothing really for my level. I'm skeptical on buying from that site because warranty, and that particular model is discontinued.

- Trying to stick to PacificStereo, Sonicelectronix, or Onlinecarstereo for purchase.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.