HELP! PLEASE! choosing wires and/or kit

Doctor Rockso
10+ year member

NC
I am so sorry, i am new to car audio i really need help.

I just purchased:

JVC KD-AVX77 head unit

wired to that are:

4 JBL P8662

they sound bad after vol above 20-25

i was told to buy an amp

i just order

Kicker DX600.5 amp

i am hoping to power all four speakers with it, maybe a single sub one day

First question is will that be enough of an amp to power the 4 speakers and a sub if i ever buy one?

Next, i am a huge fan of Monster Cables, it's the only brand that i wire my home stuff with. Are they as good for car audio as they are for home? i see that they sell Amp wiring Kits, which one do i buy?

from what i have learned is that the amp i bought needs a 4 gauge power/ground cable the kit says it's only for up to 500w amps.

I know it would be more money to buy the cables separably but would that be better?

Will the JVC head unit be powered by the amp too or just get power from the car as it is now?

I drive a 2000 Mercury Sable sedan btw

other than the cables from the kit, what other cables will i need? I would like to also like to get the cables that i would need to connect the sub if i buy one. What kind of kicker sub can i get without it been too much on the amp?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and the help!

My friend, never apologize for being new to something, it is how you learn. First I will say yes that amp will more than likely work just fine for those speakers, the main reason you are getting bad sound past a certain volume isnt because of the speakers it is because the potential of the head units internal amp is being reached and distortion occurs. Monster is a good name in car audio as well, but a bit pricey and you can get the same thing for a lower price. There are alot of people on here that like a company called Knu Konceptz. I recently looked into them myself and have to say they are great quality and a very good price. 4 AWG should be fine and because you are new I would suggest just getting a whole kit rather than trying to pick all the wires out. Make sure you get a kit for a 4 channel amp, if you don't you will need to by an extra set of RCA interconnects. The HU will get power from the vehicle just as it is now, you will only need to run the remote wire (blue/white) on HU and the RCA's to the amp from the HU. Good luck with it

I've had the Monster car audio wire before, both speakers (12 and 16 ga.) and power wire in 4 gauge. I wasn't happy with it at all. They do have some of the best RCA's out there though.

If you want the best wire available, it's Scosche hands down in my opinion, but if you want a solid amp kit on the cheap, look up American Bass kits on eBay.

thank you so much for taking the time and dropping some words of wisdom. I think that i will go with monster because its all i know in my home and i really like company.

I was wondering if a 6 channel rca and a Y cable (for the HU, sub out line) would work for all the RCA cables that I would need.

Also i am confused about this amp wiring kit

Monster Cable MPC P300 BAP500

it says that it is for amp up to 500w

I know that my amp will require 4 gauge power and ground cable, remote turn on cable, fuse box with 80-125 amp fuse, and other small things like caps and terminals etc.

so why is this kit only for up to 500w? when everything that it has is capable to run my 600w amp.

Any ideas would be very appreciated thank you

kicker RCAs and kicker amp kit PKD1 trust me i had the monster RCAs the gray one $100 plus dollars and it sounded just like the kicker rosgates jl audio i saw no difference same **** honestly

Thank you all for all of your suggestions. I will stay away from the monster amp kit, i will look into the kicker kits and check out Knukoncepts. someone mentioned Scosche i'll check them out as well.

Is it a bad idea to go ahead and plan for the future, buy 1/0 gauge power/ground cables?

What can be done when the power/ground cables wont fit because of the thickness?

Is it just best that I just stick with 4 gauge power/ground as required by my amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.