Help, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

joegee87
10+ year member

NY
I blew a fuse in my car, its a 84 camaro, and its the wire that always has power, even when the car is off, I think its the memory wire. i don't know which fuse it is, i tried them all, could it be a hidden one?

First off, a fuse element cannot be intact and go bad.And yes there is usually a hidden one.You need to remove your head unit (If It is aftermarket.If it is stock it is probably a bad head unit).Many aftermarket head units have an inline fuse on the memory wire and sometimes other positive wires as well.

Check the fuse.Check the wires where they meet the plug at the rear of the head unit.Remove the plug from rear of head unit,and make sure the connections are seated in place and not corroded or damaged.If it still does not work,you will need to get your hands on a multimeter(voltmeter)Radio Shack sells them for around 10$.Touch the black multimeter prong to the brass clip in the connector plug on the black wire or to the metal frame inside the dash behind where the radio sat.(this is your ground, or -) Now, with the ignition on, head unit removed and the connector plug in front of you, keeping the negative prong grounded ,test the Red,Orange,and Yellow wires.If you have the multimeter set to 12volts d.c. you should get a reading of 12-14.4volts for the red and orange wires.Turn on your headlights.Now you should get a reading in your yellow wire.If you got a reading in those three wires, plug your head unit back in.If it still dos not work your head unit is bad.If you did not get a reading in those three wires check the black wire to make sure it is not corroded if it is bolted with a screw to something metal in the dash.If it is good, something is wrong ahead of those three wires. Recheck all fuses under 10 amps in your dash and look carefully at the strip inside them.If they are all good, look at the clips they plug into.Corroded?Check for positive voltage where the fuse plugs in keeping your black prong grounded to your grounding point. If you get no reading on the radio fuse slot

and your cars cigarette lighter works, you should splice into the red or if needed black wire on the rear of the lighter plug for power.If not take it to a car audio shop.Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.