If only she actually looked at the guages!!

thevic24
5,000+ posts

my silence is deadly...
This was a job I got this morning at work.

Its a GX470 that the radiator leaked out. The owner never bothered to look at her gauges at all

so this is what she ended up with....

bghghytrr.jpg

Got the motor out, got it apart and this is what I found...

get-attachmentaspx-3.jpg

Well it REALLY over heated to the point that the hardened steel valve seats just decided to

pop out. This happened on 11 of the 16 intake valves.

Here is one of the pistons...

cbfg.jpg

The GX is out of warranty and her insurance is not covering it.

These are her options,

Junkyard motor(no warranty) $3400 installed

Nice used (6 mo warr.) $8600 installed

New long block (5 year/50k warr) $13k installed--ouch!!!

Well that will learn her...

I wish I could have been the fly on the wall in her home when she was given the news.

Just wait, one rainy season hits here, there will be tons more work like this.

People seem to think their cars are amphibious.

I did 12 motors just my self last year!

So I guess I should not gripe to much as the idiots keep my wallet fat!!

lutz. good thing my father in law and i taught my wife well about things like this
Well I "attempted" to learn my gf about buying a $25,000 ride (being she's on a $10 a hr pay scale) but she is thick headed as HE11. Needless to say 1 month after buying it and making the first payment she backed her schmancy Altima into a parked Silverado (her boss's). $1600 later she still doesn't understand why I don't want her to have it... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

3400 for a bone yard motor installed? holly shhhhhheeeeeetttt. glad i don't live there. hell, should be able to get it rebuilt for that price with a 1yr warrenty on it.
Not a Lexus 4.7 v8. Over half of that 3400 is in labor. 12 hours plus accessories swap.

Just parts for a rebuild would be about 6k not counting the machine work. (the 3k includes the 2 heads as they are shot.)

Was she asian?

I have 2 asian friends that seem to ignore warning lights aswell, one of them told me once that they waited till ALL the lights came on and stayed before taking it to the shop lol.

The other one had his low oil light on for months he claimed, I marched him into QFC and he had to buy 4 quarts of oil to get the level back up to normal lol.

Its amazing how many people ignore the check engine light and or other warning lights in a vehical!

Its the lack of common sense in the world. I see it all the time at my shop. Im sure she seen the light but just didnt care. Or lacked the brain thinking to look it up and see what the light ment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.