ill try to keep this short

mousepad123

boston
vechile is 2014 mazda cx5 grand touring with bose system from the factory the car has all 2ohm speakers the front of the car " drivers area" has two tweeters on the dash and a center speker middle of console then two 6/1/2 " mid bass speakers in lower front doors I think its a component set up in the front meaning the tweeters provide the high and the lower door speakers put out just bass, however when you move to the rear seats the 6/1/2 provide a full range sound . ever since i had the car i would get a thumping noise right hand side lower door speaker so i replaced the the speakers hence thinking blown speaker it still happens so now i assume i have a bad bose amp . At this point i am deciding on finding a remanufactured amp on ebay but i want to replace the front speakers with a set of aftermarket components I am thinking of going with a set of morel maximo components these are 4 ohm would this work with the bose amp ? seeing the bose is meant for two ohm . my next idea is to also add a new head unit someone once told me if i do this i could overheat the head unit is this true ?

i had cruthfield build be a sytem this is my second idea am am gonna try to post a link from my shopping cart. the only think different with this idea was to keep the facorty head unit and add an aftermarket 4 channel amp .
20646CS654 Kicker 46CSS654 6-1/2" Component System
120827501 Metra 82-7501 Mazda SAP for select Mazda models, 6-1/2/6-3/4
120823016 Metra 82-3016 Tweeter Bracket for 3-1/2" applications
120725602 Metra 72-5602 Speaker Harness for select Ford/Mazda 11-up, 4-pin
120BKSTRAP Backstrap Universal
20646CC654 Kicker 46CSC654 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
003NSB710 American International NSB710 95-up Nissan SAP, 6-1/2 %26 6-3/4
120725602 Metra 72-5602 Speaker Harness for select Ford/Mazda 11-up, 4-pin
530ST410KD Soundstream ST4-1000D 90W x 4 Car Amplifier
007CK10 Crutchfield Amp Wiring Kit 10 gauge
007CPC412 Crutchfield 4 Channel 12 ft RCA Cable
541LPA24 PAC LPA-2.4 4ch LOCPRO Active Line Output Converter 2in/4out
700DSPLOC Connection kit for DSP/LOC 18ga red/black, fuse holder, fuses

You'll lose significant output going to aftermarket 4 ohm speakers - at 3db, but probably more. Most of use would rip out the entire system start over.

also wonderin is it safe to buy an aftermarket head unit and run those two ohm speakers and the bose amp someone once said i could burn up the new head unit if i did is this a fact ?

also wonderin is it safe to buy an aftermarket head unit and run those two ohm speakers and the bose amp someone once said i could burn up the new head unit if i did is this a fact ?

I've run aftermarket HUs with stock Bose amps no problem. There are adapters online (installer.com) to make that relatively painless.

Bose speakers do tend to have funky high impedance curves that you won't get from aftermarket speakers, so the Bose amp may not like your 2 ohm aftermarket speakers. Bose also uses a lot oddball "psycho acoustic" equalization that is designed with the specific Bose drivers in mind. Additionally, it could be the amp causing your problem.

The problem is, by the time you buy the adapter, you might as well get a different head unit or amp. That line output converter alone is what $60-$100? There's your head unit. I have no clue about what your factory head unit is. If it has GPS/nav, then you can't replace that with a $100 head unit. Just about every other feature you can.

Why would an aftermarket head unit overheat? That just makes no sense at all.

I would start fresh too (if you don't currently have nav).

I love Crutchfield, I don't think anyone can say they aren't the best (car) audio website there is. If there is a top 5 list, I think this would also be on it. Here is the SALES page:

2). You started talking about Morel and then listed kickers and the cheapest soundstream amp you could find. Did your budget change from the first post to the second?

I would also suggest, you figure out your ENTIRE SYSTEM before you buy anything. Especially with a remanufactured amp, that you won't be able to return, or have a warranty on. Make sure it will all work together. A good deal on one, might force you to buy something you don't want so that it will play well together. You might change your mind, and you should consider your options, like: is it worth it to get a 5 ch amp and add a sub if the numbers work, if thats what you want. Maybe it's worth it to get a 6 ch amp for your setup.

I would be hesitant about a 10awg amp kit. You can go as big as you want with wiring. It only costs a little more, and takes up a little more space. The KICK YOURSELF part is buying a 10awg kit, then upgrading and now buying a 8awg kit, or a 4awg kit. Wiring is something that personally, you should upgrade to "as big as you might ever need", the first time. You're already spending a lot, but it's $20 now or another $100 later. Your call, just sayin.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with a 90w x 4 amp. You can buy head units that will go 50w x 4. You can get good sounding 6.5" on 50watts, it kind of depends on what YOUR BUDGET IS, what you listen to, and how loud you like it. Not buying an amp, and kit could make a difference in what your options are. Heck there's a couple 60w focal 6.5s in that link, that you could play off a 50wx4 head unit. Be all in for about $350 on two pairs of those and a head unit, and call it a day.

Last edited:
The problem is, by the time you buy the adapter, you might as well get a different head unit or amp. That line output converter alone is what $60-$100? There's your head unit. I have no clue about what your factory head unit is. If it has GPS/nav, then you can't replace that with a $100 head unit. Just about every other feature you can.

Why would an aftermarket head unit overheat? That just makes no sense at all.

I would start fresh too (if you don't currently have nav).

I love Crutchfield, I don't think anyone can say they aren't the best (car) audio website there is. If there is a top 5 list, I think this would also be on it. Here is the SALES page:

2). You started talking about Morel and then listed kickers and the cheapest soundstream amp you could find. Did your budget change from the first post to the second?

I would also suggest, you figure out your ENTIRE SYSTEM before you buy anything. Especially with a remanufactured amp, that you won't be able to return, or have a warranty on. Make sure it will all work together. A good deal on one, might force you to buy something you don't want so that it will play well together. You might change your mind, and you should consider your options, like: is it worth it to get a 5 ch amp and add a sub if the numbers work, if thats what you want. Maybe it's worth it to get a 6 ch amp for your setup.

I would be hesitant about a 10awg amp kit. You can go as big as you want with wiring. It only costs a little more, and takes up a little more space. The KICK YOURSELF part is buying a 10awg kit, then upgrading and now buying a 8awg kit, or a 4awg kit. Wiring is something that personally, you should upgrade to "as big as you might ever need", the first time. You're already spending a lot, but it's $20 now or another $100 later. Your call, just sayin.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with a 90w x 4 amp. You can buy head units that will go 50w x 4. You can get good sounding 6.5" on 50watts, it kind of depends on what YOUR BUDGET IS, what you listen to, and how loud you like it. Not buying an amp, and kit could make a difference in what your options are. Heck there's a couple 60w focal 6.5s in that link, that you could play off a 50wx4 head unit. Be all in for about $350 on two pairs of those and a head unit, and call it a day.
I know i said morel originally but then changed to kicker the only reason i posted the thing about the kickers was beacuse cruthfield basically was the only place that could tell me excaltly every piece of equipment i would need for a new install and i think at the time i either didnt know about the morel 's or cruthfield didnt sell the morels or stock was out . as far as your question goes about my stock head unit goes yes it came with navigation but its has like something like garmin maps there is a little area in the car that has a slot for a micro sd card and the navigation goes thru that first then displays on the head unit . lets just say what if i want to reaplace just my speakers and add a new head unit something with apple car play bluetooth etc the head unit doesnt neceassery need to have built in nav i could just mirror it to my phone my budget for a new head unit is around $350 i still want to go with a set of componets up front and use a set of coaxils in the back could i byepass my factory amp which i think is bad and run my four speakers off the new head unit and how can i go about this and would it sound good ? I am trying to save money on the install and try doing this myself how complicated would this be ?

I know i said morel originally but then changed to kicker the only reason i posted the thing about the kickers was beacuse cruthfield basically was the only place that could tell me excaltly every piece of equipment i would need for a new install and i think at the time i either didnt know about the morel 's or cruthfield didnt sell the morels or stock was out . as far as your question goes about my stock head unit goes yes it came with navigation but its has like something like garmin maps there is a little area in the car that has a slot for a micro sd card and the navigation goes thru that first then displays on the head unit . lets just say what if i want to reaplace just my speakers and add a new head unit something with apple car play bluetooth etc the head unit doesnt neceassery need to have built in nav i could just mirror it to my phone my budget for a new head unit is around $350 i still want to go with a set of componets up front and use a set of coaxils in the back could i byepass my factory amp which i think is bad and run my four speakers off the new head unit and how can i go about this and would it sound good ? I am trying to save money on the install and try doing this myself how complicated would this be ?
as far as bye passing the bose amp does that mean i need to run new speaker wires from head unit to the speakers locations ? I am having a really hard time finding a wiring diagram for this 2014 mazda cx5 grandtouring edition with bose amp

The symptoms you describe sound like they could be an issue with the factory head unit, amp, or even the wiring, and odds are you can replace all that stuff with something nice for less than the cost of buying replacements for a dealership and avoid the risk of buying something out of a boneyard and it fails quickly.

The issue I see with just replacing the speakers and keeping the factory amp isn't so much the impedance but that any decent quality aftermarket speaker is going to be built to hold 70-100W and the factory ones are likely built to hold about 10W.... meaning they're going to be way more efficient but only up to the limits of the amp they're paired with at the factory and beyond that they will probably fail or at least start sounding like **** very quickly.

Buying from Crutchfield isn't a bad idea, they're really good about helping you get exactly what you need for the job and are also good with support/service/return/exchange after the sale if needed.

Kicker is reliable all around, I'd suggest getting up out of their entry level and they should be comparable to any of the other mainstream brands price/performance wise. I would avoid soundstream at all costs though. I've had poor performance from their products myself and seen enough of it underperforming all around to not want to recommend throwing any money their way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...