Issues with clipping

WillisMyName

CarAudio.com Newbie
Alabama
I apologize ahead of time if I am not asking in the right place.

I have one X-12 v.2 by Sundown in a custom ported box. The amp powering it right now is an SFB 2000d
I've done the Big 3 as well as replaced my factory alternator with a high amp one. I've tuned it best I can using the clip light indicator on the amp like so:
Set the gain on the amp all the way down, head unit eq all at 0 and volume on head unit at 3/4. Then I slowly cranked the gain on the amp until the clip indicator would flash and set it back slightly to where it wasn't. At this level there is no clipping(that's indicated by the light) however the sub is obviously being pushed way below it's potential. It's wired at 1 ohm. I am not sure what to try and at this point I am left to assume I need a 2nd battery, need to replace something, or possibly the head unit or RCAs. I'm at a loss honestly. I'm very inexperienced so such a powerful sub may not have been the best to start with but I wanted some power in one speaker because I have a very small amount of room to work with.

Sorry for poor formatting and potential ignorance.

I apologize ahead of time if I am not asking in the right place.

I have one X-12 v.2 by Sundown in a custom ported box. The amp powering it right now is an SFB 2000d
I've done the Big 3 as well as replaced my factory alternator with a high amp one. I've tuned it best I can using the clip light indicator on the amp like so:
Set the gain on the amp all the way down, head unit eq all at 0 and volume on head unit at 3/4. Then I slowly cranked the gain on the amp until the clip indicator would flash and set it back slightly to where it wasn't. At this level there is no clipping(that's indicated by the light) however the sub is obviously being pushed way below it's potential. It's wired at 1 ohm. I am not sure what to try and at this point I am left to assume I need a 2nd battery, need to replace something, or possibly the head unit or RCAs. I'm at a loss honestly. I'm very inexperienced so such a powerful sub may not have been the best to start with but I wanted some power in one speaker because I have a very small amount of room to work with.

Sorry for poor formatting and potential ignorance.
What is the head unit and how is the amp getting its signal? RCA cables?

I'd also like to mention when the amp indicates clipping it isn't noticeable audibly, at least to me. But I haven't pushed it to the point of it sounding(by ear) like it's clipping just because I get pretty worried when it is clipping at all.

Clip lights on an amp are very likely not actually looking at the waveform, they are most probably just a voltage meter (I know for a fact that the """clip""" meter on far better designed amps function that way).

Also most amps have a little big more gas once that light starts flickering so you may have a little bit more on tap, but really the Sundown X is an extremely inefficient sub and odds are you will melt the coil long before you start really pushing its limits mechanically.

I looked for the specs and found them but it does not say what the RCA Pre Out voltage is. Does the box it came in say?
Okay so I don't have the box with me I am at work but I found this info on Crutchfield:
6ch/2V Preouts + Sub Control: The Sony DSX-B700 is equipped with 2-volt Front, Rear, & Sub preouts giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -6 to +6 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.

With this being said, the model number on my unit is DSX-B700W not DSX-B700. I haven't found that specific model online. My head unit only has 2 sets of RCA outs. They are all black(not red/white etc). This one seems to have 3 sets. I bought this head unit from Walmart months ago.

Clip lights on an amp are very likely not actually looking at the waveform, they are most probably just a voltage meter (I know for a fact that the """clip""" meter on far better designed amps function that way).

Also most amps have a little big more gas once that light starts flickering so you may have a little bit more on tap, but really the Sundown X is an extremely inefficient sub and odds are you will melt the coil long before you start really pushing its limits mechanically.
So perhaps the clip light is not something to panic about and might not be actual distortion just voltage drop? As for the second statement, does that have something do with it not being able to perform its best? Like are you just saying that is something I will likely run into in the future or a current problem I have?

So perhaps the clip light is not something to panic about and might not be actual distortion just voltage drop? As for the second statement, does that have something do with it not being able to perform its best? Like are you just saying that is something I will likely run into in the future or a current problem I have?
Ok, your 2v pre out's at 3/4 volume will be hard pressed to hit over 1v. The amplifiers job is to amplify that voltage between its rails. 1.1 or 1.3v and so on isn't going to amplify well or much at all. My suggestion is find a line driver which goes inline from your head unit to your amplifier and will take your low voltage RCA signal up to 4v or more then send that to the amplifiers. This should fix the issue.

Ok, your 2v pre out's at 3/4 volume will be hard pressed to hit over 1v. The amplifiers job is to amplify that voltage between its rails. 1.1 or 1.3v and so on isn't going to amplify well or much at all. My suggestion is find a line driver which goes inline from your head unit to your amplifier and will take your low voltage RCA signal up to 4v or more then send that to the amplifiers. This should fix the issue.

OP, these 2v radios are horrible, usually. 2v may mean you're clipping the radio to try to get strong signal to the amp.

OP, these 2v radios are horrible, usually. 2v may mean you're clipping the radio to try to get strong signal to the amp.
Seems like a strong place to start. Being that the 2v head unit I have is normally bad, would I need to get a better head unit as well or just installing a LOC should be the solution? I know promises can't be made but I am certainly willing to give it a shot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...