JL 500/1: setting input sensitivity w/out voltmeter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

frankiebones
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NYC
i am pushing a type R @ 2 ohms with a JL 500/1, or at least I will be soon. i just connected everything, reattached the battery, and now i am about to put the fuse in after i do a final check and make sure i didnt screw anything up (first timer).

since the impedence of the sub is 2 ohms, i would (if i had a voltmeter) increase the gain until it says 31.6v. i am going to tune it using a 50Hz test tone recorded at 0dB reference (no idea what that means, but i got one) and turn up the gain until i hear distortion, or until the amp begins the clip.

i was just curious if anyone pushing a sub @ 2 ohms who has used a voltmeter could give me an idea of where i will end up on the dial. i understand that it also depends on the speaker being driven, however, there is a specific gain setting on the amp that will give the correct voltage (31.6v) and i was curious if anyone knew where that was to get me started. thanks.

I'd rather use my ear than rely on markings on the amp case... Just be careful, go slow, and listen. Voltmeters are cheap at a place like radioshack, btw.

I'd rather use my ear than rely on markings on the amp case... Just be careful, go slow, and listen. Voltmeters are cheap at a place like radioshack, btw.
thats what i figured people would say, but i am nervous enough about whether the amp is gonna explode bc i installed it wrong so i wanted a baseline to shoot for. did not know voltmeters were so cheap, thanks

frankiebones - nice car

Now lets see some pics of the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

frankiebones - nice car
Now lets see some pics of the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
theres not much to show, i have a box in the trunk, some amps behind it and on the side of it that are installed in a very practical, non-aesthetically pleasing fashion (i.e., i didnt spend a lot of extra money to hide the wires, amps and such bc i would rather have spent that money on something that improves SQ not looks). the only thing about my set up that is noteworthy is the fact that my doors are sealed airtight (or close enough to being airtight that it doesnt effect performance).

short of taking my doors off and dunking them in water to prove that they are airtight (and probably float), i wouldnt have thought there is much to take pictures of.

however, my lease is up in july, which happens to be the identical pt in time that i will begin practicing law (assuming i pass and am admitted to the bar in NY). this is no coincidence, i actually planned it out. in fact, when i was deciding whether or not i wanted to go to law school, the fact that i wouldnt be able to afford either an S4 or an S6 unless i did go to law school is what made my decision. once i buy my next car, as opposed to leasing, i will go alllll out. im taking 13W7s in the cupholders and TVs covering the entire engine bay, this way im being entertained when i change my oil.

frankiebones - nice car
theres not much to show, i have a box in the trunk, some amps behind it and on the side of it that are installed in a very practical, non-aesthetically pleasing fashion (i.e., i didnt spend a lot of extra money to hide the wires, amps and such bc i would rather have spent that money on something that improves SQ not looks). the only thing about my set up that is noteworthy is the fact that my doors are sealed airtight (or close enough to being airtight that it doesnt effect performance).

short of taking my doors off and dunking them in water to prove that they are airtight (and probably float), i wouldnt have thought there is much to take pictures of.

however, my lease is up in july, which happens to be the identical pt in time that i will begin practicing law (assuming i pass and am admitted to the bar in NY). this is no coincidence, i actually planned it out. in fact, when i was deciding whether or not i wanted to go to law school, the fact that i wouldnt be able to afford either an S4 or an S6 unless i did go to law school is what made my decision. once i buy my next car, as opposed to leasing, i will go alllll out. im taking 13W7s in the cupholders and TVs covering the entire engine bay, this way im being entertained when i change my oil.

frankiebones - nice car

frankiebones - nice car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.