left componet speakers no longer work

Participant count
  • Participant list

matt3D
10+ year member

Hello, I installed my stereo, amps, and speakers around a year ago and a couple of days ago my drivers side component speakers stopped outputting sound. So now only the right side works. I removed the door panel and check the connections at the speakers; everything was fine. Could it be the crossover or maybe the amp? The component set is a Polk Audio db6501. The amp powering those speakers is the Memphis 16-PR2.100 R/B. I checked the connections at the amp and everything looked fine. Maybe there is a short near the kickpanel or crossover? Here is an installation picture of the crossovers, they are underneath the center console:

24mx7a1.jpg

Thanks for your time.

-Matt

Take the speaker wires at the amp out and switch the channels, so when you fade left, the right gets louder. If the dead channel moves to the passenger side comp, you need to look at your amp & the rca wire. If the drivers door still stays dead then you need to be looking at the comps.

Check the wires for damaged insulation that could be grounding out. If you have a multimeter check the connection points for voltage loss wherever the problem is localized.

Thanks for the help guys. Well I found out that the rca cable was fine and the speaker was blown. The wires were not shorting out. I measured the resistance and it didn't read anything near 4 ohms. Do you guys have any recommendations for a new component set? (in the $100 price range) It's been over a year so they can't be fixed or replaced for free. One speaker costs $45 from Polk and I rather buy a new set of component speakers because I worry that the right side will go out soon.

Thanks,

Matt

the fosgate punch series comps, sound amazing at all volume levels

took me buy surprise because usually the fosgate speakers only sound good at high volumes.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

and on ebay i think there around $90 shipped

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.