Mcintosh in Subaru

To my knowledge it would have to be an imported version. I used to work at Subaru building the Outback, Legacy and Tribeca and they used Harmon Kardon and Clarion HU's and that was 6 months ago. Not sure what yr the car is that you were in.

Ive seen a few of them up fore sale in my CL ads. From what i read, you need a harness to wire it, and they are hard to find. Metro may have them.

Just seen this post to bring it back, "and hears the rest of the story". Subaru Outback Limited and VDC came stock with McIntosh radio (believe through clarion division but labled McIntosh). From 2000-2004, after that avail in forester. The 2000-2004 outback used a 200 what Mac, 5 ch. amplifyer under pass front seat, and also used Clarion speakers with I believe a 6x9 sub in rear trunk area. The Legacy also had same option (4 door sedan) in limited and VDC, but only had a 4 channel amp (no sub) they also had an optional 6 cd changer. All Mac units were receiver only. I have a Sube LL Bean and I want to put one of these in, I have heard that they did have a lot of issues but when working they sounded pretty good. Nice clean sound but could use a little more punch!

I would rate it in top 5 for factory sound system set ups. Better then the caddy's and Lexus, bose systems. In sound quality and had more punch then most any factory system with the 200 watt Mac amp.

SubaruMcIntosh.jpg
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what did this headunit come factory in?

Thanks,

Pete

And that should speak volumes about Clarions quality. Which is another reason as to why I prefer Clarion over the others.

Sadly this doesn't hold true. People want the name.

The Clarion 7770 is the same exact thing as the Mcintosh ?###. The 7770 will sell for half the price. I bought my 7770 for $40 shipped about 3 years ago. One just sold on ebay a few weeks ago for $115. Maybe people are starting to realize that????

Same goes for the Clarion APA amps from the early/mid 90s.

The stock HU in my 2012 WRX is made by Clarion. Get this, the Subaru dealership told me that for $2,000 they could upgrade the stock HU with the NAV unit. Umm, no thanks, I'll just purchase the Alpine INA-W910 and add a PXA-H100 to it to get active crossovers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.